Etymology :: Hitchenia caulina

Dinesh Valke

Sep 7, 2010, 4:39:11 PM9/7/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Need to know the derivation of both Hitchenia and caulina.

Regards.

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 7, 2010, 5:33:52 PM9/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Hitchenia should be based on some one's name "HITCHEN' and 'caulina'
is from "cauline" which points at the "leaves emerging from the upper
part of the stem".
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 7, 2010, 5:39:12 PM9/7/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Sorry, Hitchenia should be based on the name of a place!!
Pankaj

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 7, 2010, 7:44:23 PM9/7/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji
Just for information, in a very recent Paper by Jana Leong-Škorničková, Otakar Šída & Karol Marhold "Back to types! Towards stability of names in Indian Curcuma L. (Zingiberaceae)" published in TAXON 59 (1) • February 2010: 269–282, the  the name  Hitchenia caulina (J. Graham) Baker is treated as synonym of Curcuma caulina Graham.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 7, 2010, 8:50:42 PM9/7/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Curcuma caulina is also accepted as correct name by K.C. Velayudhan et al., "Curcuma Genetic resouces" scientific Monograph No. 4, published by CSIR, NBPGR, 1999.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Vijayasankar

Sep 7, 2010, 9:02:01 PM9/7/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
It is mentioned in the ref. given below that De Candolle thanked Thomas Hitchen, a 'dignified' Norwich advocate who sent 'excellent drawing' and plant specimens of Aloe ferox to him...so...probably Wallich honoured Hitchen for his contributions by erecting a genus in his name...

With regards

Vijayasankar

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 8, 2010, 2:08:27 AM9/8/10
to Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
Thanks a lot Vijay. I first thought that it should be based on persons
name but then "enia" is usually applied to the name of a place in
Latin, so got confused. I have sent a mail to Jana in Singapore, she
happens to be one of my very good friends and a Zingiber expert. But
she is out of station till 9th. Will wait for her reply and also for
the status of the name.
Regards
Pankaj

Dinesh Valke

Sep 8, 2010, 2:55:01 AM9/8/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Vijayasankar, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Thank you very much to all for the great help: Gurcharan ji for letting know the currency of the name; will also wait to hear from Pankaj regarding the same.
Many thanks Vijayasankar ji for this less known genus name ... not much is discussed on internet or any resources that are available with me.
Many thanks Pankaj.
Will stay put to this thread for any development.

Regards.