fruits & vegetables :: CULTIVATED :: Annonaceae » Annona squamosa

Dinesh Valke

Jan 2, 2011, 1:32:41 PM1/2/11
to efloraofindia
Annonaceae (custard apple, sugar apple, or soursop family) » Annona squamosa
Synonym: Annona asiatica
... Annona is often found misspelled as Anona

uh-NO-nuh -- Latinized form of the American Indian taino, vernacular name for cherimoya
skwa-MO-suh -- scaly

commonly known as: custard apple (in India), sugar apple, sweetsop • Assamese: আতলচ-কঁঠাল aatloch kothal • Bengali: আতা ata, শরিকা shorifa • Gujarati: સીતાફળ sitaphal • Hindi: आत, आता or अता ata, बहुवीज bahu-vij, मुक्ताफल muktaphal, सीताफल sitaphal • Kannada: ಸೀತಾಫಲ seetaphala • Konkani: सीताफल siitaaphala • Malayalam: ശീടാഫലം seethapazham • Manipuri: সীতাফল sitaphal • Marathi: आत ata, मुक्ताफल muktaphala, शिताफळ or सिताफळ sitaphala • Nepali: आँट् aunt • Oriya: sitaphalo • Persian: شريفه sharifa • Punjabi: ਸ਼ਰੀਫਾ sharifa, ਸੀਤਾ ਫਲ sita phal • Sanskrit: आतृप्यम् atrupyum, बहुबीजम् bahubijam, मुक्ताफलम् muktaphalam, सीताफलम् sitaphalam • Tamil: ஆத்தா atta, சீத்தா citta • Telugu: సీతాఫలము sita-phalamu • Urdu: آتا ata, شريفه sharifa

Edible use:
... ripe fruit

some facts:
... the most widely grown of all the species of Annona
... widely grown in El Salvador, India, Pakistan and the Philippines.
... the original home of the sugar apple is unknown
... the species was described from Jamaica.
Quoted from: WikipediaPurdue University

A. reticulata and A. squamosa mixed up:
... world-over, A. squamosa is known as sugar-apple (or sweetsop) and A. reticulata as custard-apple
... in India, A. squamosa is popularly known as custard-apple (the name sugar-apple is not known to many), in Australia too, well known as Custard Apple

4666902158_fe23fa7850_b.jpg
3599982661_e2bec7cae9_b.jpg
3600794690_47b96b17cd_b.jpg
4666230829_19ff392ca2_b.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Jan 3, 2011, 3:20:45 AM1/3/11
to efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,
Again adding my picture of a ready to pluck Sitaphal from our home
garden at Nasik.Maharashtra.
Aarti

Fruits-Custard Apple,Nasik-P1020906.JPG

mani nair

Jan 3, 2011, 3:48:28 AM1/3/11
to Aarti S. Khale, efloraofindia
Dinesh ji,

Sending picture of  children selling Sitaphal.  This picture was shot by my friend Mrs. Yogita Rathore on the way to Kumbhalgarh, Rajasthan.

Regards,

Mani.

Sitaphal.jpg