ID please

garima bhatia

Nov 21, 2008, 12:07:32 PM11/21/08
to indiantreepix

Which flowers are these? Would appreciate ID please. Clicked along the road from Kanakapura to Sangam, near Bangalore.

IMG_3149_filtered.jpg

Neil Soares

Nov 21, 2008, 12:14:59 PM11/21/08
to garima bhatia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Garima,
    It is called Lion's Ear [ Leonotis nepetifolia].
              With regards,
                 Neil Soares.

J.M. Garg

Nov 21, 2008, 9:08:22 PM11/21/08
to drneil...@yahoo.com, garima bhatia, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Neil ji.
From Indiantreepix Database:
Leonotis nepetifolia  Lamiaceae Klip Dagga, Lion's ear near Kangsabati Dam, Mukutmanipur, Dist- Bankura, (West Bengal) in end of November, 2005. from Galudi, growing on the banks of river Subarnarekha, Dec. 2004; at daulatabad fort- 31/10/08;   Leonotis nepetifolia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia LEONOTIS LEONURUS. - indiantreepix | Google Groups Leonotis nepetifolia - Lion's ear (Lamiaceae) - Plants of Hawaii flower083010b - indiantreepix | Google Groups

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Biome

Nov 22, 2008, 9:10:05 PM11/22/08
to garima bhatia, indiantreepix
Leonotis nepetifolia (Lamiaceae= Labiatae)
square stem, verticillaster inflo, bilipped corolla seen in pic- very typical of Lamiaceae

Nov 24, 2008, 4:11:02 AM11/24/08
to indiantreepix, garima bhatia
Lovely pix.

Nov 24, 2008, 4:14:38 AM11/24/08
to garima bhatia, drneil...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Also seen in Jhargram, E Midnapore Dist, S Bengal. Thanks Neil for the ID.

--- On Fri, 21/11/08, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Get rid of Add-Ons in your email ID. Get your...@rocketmail.com. Sign up now!

Sangeeta Das

Nov 24, 2008, 4:23:54 AM11/24/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

In April I went to Himachal. I saw these trees in full bloom. Can anyone give me an ID of these. Also if you know of a common name then it is easier to search for it in the local nurseries. It helps, as most of the gardeners are not aware of the scientific names.

thanks
regards
Sangeeta

--
"Fear less/ Love more; Eat less/Taste more; Regret less/Hope more; shout less/Listen more; Do less/Be more"
blue flower 00.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 24, 2008, 4:47:42 AM11/24/08
to Sangeeta Das, indian...@googlegroups.com
It's Jacaranda mimosifolia (Neeli Gulmohar).
Details & other Common names from Indiantreepix Database:
Jacaranda mimosifolia (Syn.Jacaranda chelonia and J. ovalifolia)   Bignoniaceae Blue Jacaranda, Neeli Gulmohar, Black Poui, Green Ebony, Brazilian Rosewood Flowering (13/2/08) at Mayani near Satara as per Rama ji- It appears to be too early & even in Pune I have seen an occasional Jacaranda (though most are not) in full bloom (13/2/08)- Satish ji.  Jacaranda trees are in bloom (13/2/08) in Banglore- Vidya ji. Blooming now (2/3/08) in Bannerghatta National Park near Banglore- Vinaya. Most of the Jacarandas are coming into bloom (23/2/03)- S.Karthikeyan. Presently (3/3/08) Jacaranda is in full bloom in Bangalore- the first bloom I saw was early February in Kadugodi, Bangalore- Chinmayee. Flowering seen in May over the years in Himachal- J.M.Garg. In magnificent bloom in Bangalore- 10/3/08- Ranjini Kamath. In Banglore- 8/3/08- Raghu ji. Flowering in Delhi in the last week of March'08- Rita ji. Flowering observed in Pune- April first fortnight- Satish ji. Trees of Delhi- flowers with the new leaves, early April to mid May: occasional short flushes in the rains. Beautiful Trees & Shrubs of Calcutta- flowering occurs from late spring to early summer (April-May). Blue Jacaranda - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Blooming Period of Jacaranda - indiantreepix | Google Groups Jacaranda blooms - indiantreepix | Google Groups Flowering trees in delhi--jacaranda - indiantreepix | Google Groups

Kenneth Greby

Nov 24, 2008, 8:48:43 AM11/24/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Sangeeta Das
Sangeeta--

 This is a Jacaranda species, most likely J. mimosifolia.

Regards--
Ken Greby
Palmetto Bay, Florida USA