photo

ushaprabha page

Aug 9, 2010, 6:50:25 AM8/9/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Habenaria foliosa- found on the private land near village `Thoran
on the way between Kamshet to Jambhivali.
P1110130.JPG

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Aug 9, 2010, 8:57:11 AM8/9/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot for sharing this pic aunty ji. Yes this is indeed
Habenaria foliosa and infact this group is very tricky as the keys are
based on the length of two lobes of lateral petals. It needs good eye
and effort to identify this plant.
Hope you are fine.
Regards
Pankaj

On Aug 9, 3:50 pm, ushaprabha page <ushaprabhap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Habenaria foliosa- found on the private land near village `Thoran
> on the way between Kamshet to Jambhivali.
>
>  P1110130.JPG
> 2496KViewDownload

tanay bose

Aug 9, 2010, 9:31:17 AM8/9/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
A new orchid for me thanks for sharing
My knowledge in orchids are negligible.
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Satish Phadke

Aug 9, 2010, 9:52:52 AM8/9/10
to ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ushaprabha ji
Great to see this wonderful orchid. New to me.
I think you will have to reduce the size of the image to 150K before sending it to the group next time as per posting guidelines.
Any way thanks for sharing this wonderful specimen
Dr Satish Phadke

ajinkya gadave

Aug 9, 2010, 10:13:07 AM8/9/10
to Satish Phadke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
wow !!!!!!!!!
great flowers

Mayur Nandikar

Aug 10, 2010, 2:23:13 AM8/10/10
to ajinkya gadave, Satish Phadke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
hello,
Should anyone know about the other varieties of Habenaria foliosa?

--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,
Research Student,

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 10, 2010, 3:07:04 AM8/10/10
to Mayur Nandikar, ajinkya gadave, Satish Phadke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
There are lot of confusion between this partcular group of Habenaria.
Earlier Habenaria foliosa var. gibsonii and Habenaria foliosa var.
foliosa were two varieties. But then Habenaria gibsoni was formed from
the former which had two varieties, Habenaria gibsonii var. gibsonii
and Habenaria gibsonii var. foetida.
I find Habenaria foliosa; Habenaria gibsonii var. gibsonii and
Habenaria gibsonii var. foetida as three distinct taxa, but Kew has
merged all of them under Habenaria foliosa.
The main difference between gibsonii and foliosa lies in the length of
the two lobes of bipartite lateral petal, where as the prominent
difference in H. g. var. gibsonii and H. g. var. foetida is that of
smell. Foetida smells like :p shit, whereas former has no or better
smell!!
Other few species allied to above taxa are Habenaria digitata and
Habenaria pangrahiana.
Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar

Aug 10, 2010, 3:09:50 AM8/10/10
to Mayur Nandikar, ajinkya gadave, Satish Phadke, ushaprabha page, indian...@googlegroups.com
Infact the plant on flowersofindia, seems more like gibsonii to me.
Tabish sir may match the pic with Page mam's pic. Secondly the lower
segment of lateral petal is shorter in FOI pic, hence it cant be
foliosa.
Regards
Pankaj