Re: [indiantreepix:4930] Re: Acacia planifrons? MINE ACACIA NILOTICA

Geeta Rane

Sep 22, 2008, 4:25:18 AM9/22/08
to indiantreepix
If the babhal in marathi is same as Babhul, i have attached pix taken at Hiraj canal, Solapur Maharashtra
This is for info only,
I also wish to say Thanks for all the responses,accordingly have corrected the names,
Bye for now,
Have a nice time,
Geeta

On 9/22/08, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is Srikant ji's reply:
"Dear Mr. Garg,
This is Acacia leucophloea. Regds
Shrikant"

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 10:28 PM, nabha meghani <nabha-...@gmx.de> wrote:
Hallo, is this same as Babhal in marathi?
regards
nalini

flowersofBABHUL at canaL.jpg
babhul at canal hiraj.jpg

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 22, 2008, 8:56:06 AM9/22/08
to Geeta Rane, J.M. Garg, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Acacia planifrons (Umbrella thorn) which is a native of South India and Srilanka is supposed to be umbrella shaped. The famous umbrella shaped acacia is of course acacia tortilis (Israeli babool). this is also known as Umbrella thorn. Are the two similar varieties or one and the same. Experts may kindly enlighten.
akbhatt

Mahadeswara Swamy

Sep 22, 2008, 9:26:43 AM9/22/08
to Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
The photographs are those of  Acacia nilotica (babul i n Hindi).  The yellow flowers are sweet scented.  The bark is used for tanning.  Some people use the small stems for cleaning teeth.  The wood is use ful for agricultural implements.   A.planifrons is different from A.nilotica.  The flowers of A.planifrons are not yellow - either cream coloured or say white?

J.M. Garg

Sep 22, 2008, 12:00:24 PM9/22/08
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, Geeta Rane, Neil Soares, indiantreepix
Hi, Anand ji,
Acacia planifrons (Umbrella thorn) & Acacia tortilis (Israeli babool) are different species.

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

nabha meghani

Sep 24, 2008, 5:50:19 AM9/24/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
hallo, i wud also like to add that the resin (harz in german) is used as glue (dink in Marathi). and laddus made of roasted dink, almonds, kokonut etc.etc. are delicious, and good source of energy especially for young mothers. but i don't know if this is true for all Acacia family trees or only for a certain sp.
regards
nalini

Mahendra Prasad

Sep 25, 2008, 2:26:04 AM9/25/08
to Mahadeswara Swamy, Geeta Rane, indiantreepix, nabha meghani
In UP, expecting or post delivery mothers are given "Gond ka Laddu ", which is basically Gond ( Glue or Resin) used as a binder with many different types of seeds & nuts shaped into round balls ( Laddus ). Rich in energy and other nutrients to enable mothers to lactate properly and quickly get back into pre-delivery condition. It was surprising to know that something similar is used in Germany.

Madhuri Pejaver

Sep 25, 2008, 5:52:21 AM9/25/08
to mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, indian...@googlegroups.com
if i am not mistaken the gum of Moringa that is Shevga is also used as gum in laddus.
even the gum of gum kadaya Sturculia fitida is also used as lactating stimulating gum.
experts pl verify and confirm.
madhuri

> In UP, expecting or post delivery mothers are given
> "Gond ka Laddu ", which is basically Gond ( Glue
> or Resin) used as a binder with many different types of
> seeds & nuts shaped into round balls ( Laddus ). Rich
> in energy and other nutrients to enable mothers to lactate
> properly and quickly get back into pre-delivery condition.
> It was surprising to know that something similar is used in
> Germany.
>
> --- On Wed, 24/9/08, nabha meghani
> <nabha-...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> From: nabha meghani <nabha-...@gmx.de>
> Subject: [indiantreepix:5003] Re: Acacia planifrons? MINE
> ACACIA NILOTICA
> To: "Mahadeswara Swamy"
> <swamy...@yahoo.com>, "Geeta Rane"
> <hobb...@gmail.com>, "indiantreepix"
> <indian...@googlegroups.com>
> Date: Wednesday, 24 September, 2008, 3:20 PM
>

> #yiv950251279 DIV {
> MARGIN:0px;}
> Get an email ID as your...@ymail.com or
> your...@rocketmail.com. Click here.
>

> Get an email ID as your...@ymail.com or
> your...@rocketmail.com. Click here
> http://in.promos.yahoo.com/address

Mahadeswara Swamy

Sep 25, 2008, 9:09:47 AM9/25/08
to mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, Geeta Rane, indiantreepix, nabha meghani
Not all species of Acacia yield gum.  The gum used in food industry is mostly from Acacia senegal and Acacia seyal.

Sep 26, 2008, 10:36:13 AM9/26/08
to mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, Mahadeswara Swamy, Geeta Rane, indiantreepix
No, no, i did not write abt. germany i wrote abt. maharashtra. nice to know it is same in UP too.
Nalini

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Sep 26, 2008, 4:24:00 PM9/26/08
to mahendrap...@yahoo.co.in, Mahadeswara Swamy, Geeta Rane, indiantreepix, nabha meghani
I shall be grateful if somebody posts a photograph of Acacia planifrons.
Thanks.
akbhatt

--
Anand Kumar Bhatt