421 ID wild shrub

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Feb 20, 2023, 3:56:48 AM2/20/23
to efloraofindia
Please ID wild plant, kind regards, Sam.

Location: near Vannappuram, Thodupuzha, Idukki Dist., Kerala PIN:685607

Altitude: 1500fsl

Flower date: 21JAN2023, 05.05pm

Habitat: wild moisture shady hill roadside

Plant habit: small shrub, erect/obliquely, branches, semi weak cylindrical stem 02cm base diameter, grooved greenish brown base bark, velvety cylindrical greenish young stem, highly aromatic, perennial

Height: 02 meters

Leaves: alternate, lobate, serrated, acute, highly aromatic smell and taste, winged petiole, leathery, velvety, leaf bracts, size upto:12×6cm

Flower: axillary panicle inflorescence, clustered, diameter:04mm, greenish yellow, lite fragrant

Fruit:

Seed:

Camera: CANON EOS1500D +FL10x
20230121170303_IMG_6817_resized.JPG
20230121170403_IMG_6821.JPG
20230121170303_IMG_6817.JPG
20230121171411_IMG_6842.JPG
20230121170521_IMG_6824.JPG
20230121171438_IMG_6844.JPG
20230121170445_IMG_6823.JPG
20230121171524_IMG_6845.JPG

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Feb 20, 2023, 4:01:16 AM2/20/23
to efloraofindia
Sharing more images.
20230121171145_IMG_6836.JPG
20230121170842_IMG_6831.JPG
20230121171227_IMG_6838.JPG
20230121170823_IMG_6830.JPG

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Feb 20, 2023, 4:05:10 AM2/20/23
to efloraofindia

Sharing more images

20230121171004_IMG_6833.JPG
20230121171753_IMG_6850.JPG
20230121171850_IMG_6851.JPG

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Feb 20, 2023, 4:06:51 AM2/20/23
to efloraofindia
Sharing more images
20230121170640_IMG_6827.JPG
20230121172001_IMG_6856.JPG

Saroj Kasaju

Feb 20, 2023, 4:06:51 AM2/20/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Sam Kuzhalanattu, J.M. Garg
Artemisia ! nilagirica ??
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Feb 20, 2023, 4:08:09 AM2/20/23
to efloraofindia
Sharing an image
20230121172027_IMG_6857.JPG

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Feb 20, 2023, 4:14:09 AM2/20/23
to efloraofindia
Yes, it is Artemisia nilagirica, dear Saroj ji, thank you very much for ID my plant, with kind regards, Sam.

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Feb 20, 2023, 5:43:54 AM2/20/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Isn't it Artemisia indica.

J.M. Garg

Feb 20, 2023, 6:42:43 AM2/20/23
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, Sam Kuzhalanattu, Saroj Kasaju
Hi, Paradesi ji,
Is it listed in south India ?
As per BSI Flora of India and Flora of Peninsular India, it is not listed (although it is not clear from POWO).
Anyway it (A.indica syn: Artemisia vulgaris var. indica (Willd.) Hassk.) is quite close to A.niligarica (syn: A.vulgaris var. niligarica)

--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Paradesi Anjaneyulu

Feb 20, 2023, 7:11:33 AM2/20/23
to J.M. Garg, indian...@googlegroups.com, Sam Kuzhalanattu, Saroj Kasaju
In South India recorded under vulgaris only Garg Ji.

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Feb 20, 2023, 9:45:40 AM2/20/23
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju, Paradesi Anjaneyulu
Thank you very much dear Paradesi ji for the confirmation, with kind regards, Sam.

J.M. Garg

Feb 21, 2023, 5:48:03 AM2/21/23
to Paradesi Anjaneyulu, indian...@googlegroups.com, Sam Kuzhalanattu, Saroj Kasaju
But BSI Flora of India does not list A.vulgaris although Flora of Peninsular India mentions it.
On further checking, BSI Flora of India mentions distribution of A.indica as India: Gangetic Plain, Deccan Peninsula and the Himalayas, ascending up to 3000 m. Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, W. Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya and Tamil NaduMyanmar, Thailand, S. China and Japan.
So I keep it as A.indica as per FoC illustration.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Sam Kuzhalanattu

Feb 21, 2023, 11:43:23 AM2/21/23
to J.M. Garg, Paradesi Anjaneyulu, efloraofindia, Saroj Kasaju
Dear Garg ji,
Thank you very much for ID my plant with detailed clarification and providing ID links, with kind regards, Sam.