[efloraofindia:35088] Nicotiana tobacum

Balkar Arya

May 17, 2010, 9:12:08 PM5/17/10
to indiantreepix
Dear All
Nicotiana tobacum
From Panipat Photo taken 15-5-07

Regards

--
Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

N. Tobacum-1.jpg
N. Tobacum-2.jpg

Neil Soares

May 18, 2010, 12:08:00 AM5/18/10
to indiantreepix, Balkar Arya
Hi,
 Variations in the colour of the flowers seems to be a commom feature of this plant. Sending a few of my photographs.
                    With regards,
                      Neil Soares.

--- On Tue, 5/18/10, Balkar Arya <balka...@gmail.com> wrote:
Nicotiana tabacum 1.jpg
Nicotiana tabacum 2.jpg

tanay bose

May 18, 2010, 12:32:24 AM5/18/10
to Neil Soares, indiantreepix, Balkar Arya
Yes Neil ji,
This change in flower colour differ the cultivar and also the grade od tobaccco .
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Prashant awale

May 18, 2010, 1:53:40 PM5/18/10
to Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Dear Balkar ji,
Is it Nicotiana tobacum or Nicotiana rustica?
regards
Prashant

Gurcharan Singh

May 18, 2010, 10:36:58 PM5/18/10
to Prashant awale, Balkar Arya, indiantreepix
Prashant ji you are right
The plant uploaded by Balkar ji is N. rustica. Observe short corolla tube, yellow flowers and large sessile leaves.

The plant uploaded by Neil ji is N. tabacum. Note long corolla tube, pinkish flowers and narrow petioled leaves.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Balkar Arya

May 19, 2010, 1:37:28 AM5/19/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Prashant awale, indiantreepix
Gurcharan Ji and Prashant Ji
Thanks for the correction
In our area this plant is grown occasionally for Tobbacco to be used in Hubble-Bubble (Hukka)