Interesting Flower from Costal area..

Swagat

Jul 13, 2010, 1:21:35 AM7/13/10
to indiantreepix

Dear all,

Request for ID....

Date/Time- *05th April 2010, 07.50 a.m.*

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-  *Vellas, Tahasil- Mandangad, Dist. Ratnagiri, Maharashtra  वेळास, ता.- मंडणगड, जि.- रत्‍नागिरी, महाराष्‍ट्र*

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type- *Rural - Costal*

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Height/Length-

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568 / 9422317979

050410-Vellas-Swagat3.jpg
050410-Vellas-Swagat3A.jpg
050410-Vellas-Swagat3B.jpg
050410-Vellas-Swagat3C.jpg
050410-Vellas-Swagat3D.jpg
050410-Vellas-Swagat3E.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 13, 2010, 1:36:25 AM7/13/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix
Is this any species of Avicennia or allied genus ?
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

tanay bose

Jul 13, 2010, 1:38:17 AM7/13/10
to Swagat, indiantreepix
The fruit doesn't confirm it to be Avicennia !! the flower is so weird !1
tanay

Rashida Atthar

Jul 13, 2010, 1:41:08 AM7/13/10
to tanay bose, Swagat, indiantreepix
Tanay ji I hope it is not some selfa or Mixa !!!

regards,
Rashida.

tanay bose

Jul 13, 2010, 1:45:01 AM7/13/10
to Rashida Atthar, Swagat, indiantreepix
I don't know the flower looks very close to the Avicennia flowers but the fruit is completely different !!
Who will generate Selfa or Mixa in the jungle these genera are common in gardens
Tanay

L. Rasingam

Jul 13, 2010, 2:11:10 AM7/13/10
to tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, Swagat, indiantreepix
The plant look like a Sonneratia sp.,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonneratia

Regards
L.Rasingam

Pravin Kawale

Jul 13, 2010, 2:16:11 AM7/13/10
to L. Rasingam, tanay bose, Rashida Atthar, Swagat, indiantreepix
Hi,
It is Sonneratia apetela
Local Marathi name: Chipi
Thanks

On 7/13/10, L. Rasingam <ras...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The plant look like a Sonneratia sp.,

> *
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonneratia
>

> *Regards*
> *L.Rasingam
> *
>
> *

> On 13 July 2010 11:15, tanay bose <tanay...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I don't know the flower looks very close to the *Avicennia* flowers but

>> the fruit is completely different !!
>> Who will generate Selfa or Mixa in the jungle these genera are common in
>> gardens
>> Tanay
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Rashida Atthar <atthar....@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Tanay ji I hope it is not some selfa or Mixa !!!
>>>

>>> regards,
>>> Rashida.

--
Pravin

Pankaj Kumar

Jul 13, 2010, 2:16:35 AM7/13/10
to L. Rasingam, Swagat, indiantreepix
This is a call for Dr. Jatinder Chadha,..........please reply
Isnt this plant the one you were showing from Sikkim....so most
probably this is not necessarily a mangrove plant!!!
Pankaj

Tabish

Jul 13, 2010, 3:11:10 AM7/13/10
to efloraofindia
As Pravin pointed out, this should be Sonneratia mangrove (Sonneratia
apetala)
"apetala" means it has no sepals - it only has 4 petals, And a very
interesting pistil with stigma looking like a mushroom!
http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Sonneratia%20Mangrove.html
- Tabish

Tabish

Jul 13, 2010, 3:15:03 AM7/13/10
to efloraofindia
PS: Sorry for my word-swapping typo! I meant, "apetala" means it has
no petals - it only has 4 sepals :-)
- Tabish

Bhatt Sweta

Jul 15, 2010, 2:28:47 AM7/15/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
It is definitely sonneratia apetala

Pardeshi S.

Jul 15, 2010, 5:26:13 AM7/15/10
to efloraofindia
Hello all
it is for Sure Sonneratia apetala.
the 4 fleshy spreading calyx in fruit and the umbrella-shaped stigm
aclearly points out towards Sonneratia apetala.
it can be found ocassionaly along the Mumbai coast.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

promila chaturvedi

Jul 16, 2010, 9:15:32 AM7/16/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
To me also it looks like Sonneratia apetala. Its picture and description is given in flowersofindia, I think by Pravin Ji.
Promila

Dinesh Valke

Jul 16, 2010, 10:24:44 AM7/16/10
to promila chaturvedi, Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
... me too, Sonneratia apetala ... commonly known as: mangrove apple, sonneratia mangrove • Bengali: keora • Marathi: चिपी chipi, कांदळ or कांडळ kandal • Oriya: khirwa • Tamil: மரம மரம் marama maram • Telugu: క్యలన్కి kyalanki

Regards.

Mayur Nandikar

Jul 19, 2010, 4:06:01 AM7/19/10
to Dinesh Valke, promila chaturvedi, Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Hello,
Sonneratia apetala only
--
Mr. Mayur D. Nandikar,