Arctotis stoechadifolia from Delhi for confirmation

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 31, 2010, 4:37:52 AM3/31/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India
Sending cultivated annual tentatively identified as Arctotis stoechadifolia P. J. Berguis., please validate

Date/Time-

30 March2010 10 am

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Vikas Puri, New Delhi, 213 m asl

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Garden ornamental grown in beds and borders

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Annual branched herb

Height/Length-

up to 1 m tall

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

Alternate, simple, toothed

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

Capitulum, radiate head, up to 8 cm across

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Ray florests white with narrowly elongate ligule, disc violet

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Arctotis-stoechadifolia-Delhi-1.jpg
Arctotis-stoechadifolia-Delhi-2.jpg

Tabish

Mar 31, 2010, 7:30:09 AM3/31/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
To me it looks like Dimorphotheca pluvialis. You can check if the
underside of the petals (ray florets actually) is mauve in color. By
evening the petals fold up and only the mauve part is visible.
Best wishes
- Tabish

On Mar 31, 1:37 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sending cultivated annual tentatively identified as Arctotis stoechadifolia
> P. J. Berguis., please validate
>

>  *Date/Time-*
>
> * *
>
> *30 March2010 10 am*
>
> *Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-*
>
> *
> *
>
> *Vikas Puri, New Delhi, 213 m asl*
>
> *Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> * *
>
> *Garden ornamental grown in beds and borders*
>
> *Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  *
>
> * *
>
> *Annual branched herb*
>
> *Height/Length-*
>
> * *
>
> *up to 1 m tall*
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*
>
> * *
>
> *Alternate, simple, toothed*
>
> *Inflorescence Type/ Size-*
>
> * *
>
> *Capitulum, radiate head, up to 8 cm across*
>
> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*
>
> * *
>
> *Ray florests white with narrowly elongate ligule, disc violet*
>
> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-*
>
> * *
>
> *
> *
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-*
>
> *
> *

> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor
>

>  Arctotis-stoechadifolia-Delhi-1.jpg
> 429KViewDownload
>
>  Arctotis-stoechadifolia-Delhi-2.jpg
> 144KViewDownload

Tabish

Mar 31, 2010, 7:34:23 AM3/31/10
to efloraofindia
PS: actually the underside of many Arctotis species is also purplish,
so thats no distinguishing feature. But I stiil think it is
Dimorphotheca pluvialis.
- Tabish

On Mar 31, 1:37 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sending cultivated annual tentatively identified as Arctotis stoechadifolia
> P. J. Berguis., please validate
>

> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.-*
>
> *
> *

> --
> Dr. Gurcharan Singh
> Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 31, 2010, 7:57:33 AM3/31/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Yes Tabish ji
You are right. I some how got confused, although I did have some correctly identified photographs already with me. Thanks for correction. It is indeed Dimorphotheca pluvialis

--

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Tabish <tab...@gmail.com> wrote:
PS: actually the underside of many Arctotis species is also purplish,
so thats no distinguishing feature. But I stiil think it is
Dimorphotheca pluvialis.
  - Tabish

On Mar 31, 1:37 pm, Gurcharan Singh <singh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sending cultivated annual tentatively identified as Arctotis stoechadifolia
> P. J. Berguis., please validate
>
>  *Date/Time-*

tanay bose

Mar 31, 2010, 7:58:18 AM3/31/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan Ji & Tabish Ji,
According to Eflora of North America I think this plant is Dimorphotheca pluvialis (Linnaeus) Moench, Methodus. 585. 1794.

Syn: Calendula pluvialis Linnaeus, Sp. Pl. 2: 921. 1753

Annuals, 5–20(–40+) cm. Leaf blades narrowly oblong or oblanceolate to linear, 15–50(–100+) × 3–15(–25+) mm, mar-gins usually dentate to pinnatifid, sometimes entire. Peduncles (3–)5–12+ cm. Phyllaries 6–12+ mm. Ray corolla laminae abaxially white to ochroleucous or yellowish (often marked with blue to purple), adaxially mostly whitish (often blue to purplish at bases and/or apices), 20–30+ mm. Disc florets 30–50+; corollas whitish to yellowish, usually bluish to purplish distally, 4–6 mm (lobe apices acute, terete, or dilated). Ray cypselae 4–6 mm; disc cypselae 6–8 mm. 2n = 18.

Please Validate identification.

RegardsT

Tanay

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM, Tabish <tab...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 31, 2010, 8:06:50 AM3/31/10
to tanay bose, Tabish, efloraofindia
Tanay
Another telepathy. My mail 5.27 your 5.28, not knowing each others' answer; reaching same conclusion simultaneously. I got confused originally to think of Arctotis.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Mar 31, 2010, 11:00:09 AM3/31/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
Dear Gurcharan ji,
This kind of telepathy is not rare anymore between us, becoming a daily occurrence. As soon as posted the mail i found there is a updating of conversation.
Regards
Tanay

JM Garg

May 5, 2016, 3:56:06 AM5/5/16
to efloraofindia, Gurcharan Singh, Tabish