Waghchora again

Neil Soares

Sep 28, 2010, 2:10:57 PM9/28/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

  Was at my farm at Shahapur again last Sunday. Have another Wagchora ready to flower [Photographs 1 & 2], but what was interesting was that as the old flowers of its predecessor withered away distinct ‘fangs’ became evident [Photographs 5 & 6]. Also one of the flowers appeared to have what looked like a ‘pollen packet’ attached to it [Photographs 6,7 & 8].

              Any comments?

                        With regards,

                           Neil Soares.

Pecteilis gigantea, Waghchora 1.jpg
Pecteilis gigantea, Waghchora 2.jpg
Pecteilis gigantea, Waghchora 3.jpg
Pecteilis gigantea, Waghchora 4.jpg
Pecteilis gigantea, Waghchora 5.jpg
Pecteilis gigantea, Waghchora 6.jpg
Pecteilis gigantea, Waghchora 7.jpg
Pecteilis gigantea, Waghchora 8.jpg

Neil Soares

Sep 28, 2010, 2:18:02 PM9/28/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Sorry. Please read it as 'distinct fangs became evident [Photographs 4 & 5].
                   Regards,
                     Neil Soares.

tanay bose

Sep 28, 2010, 4:58:31 PM9/28/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
quite unique
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 28, 2010, 8:21:48 PM9/28/10
to Neil Soares, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice timing. Actually the flowers are drying up But I imagine what you are calling fangs? The pectinate margins of the side lobes of the now brown coloured labellum may be? Labellum was normally white.
Yes a part of pollinium is visible in the last picture, which seems to be dislodged from the pouch also called thecae which are visible as two arch on the top. The pollinum is stuck with the stigma.

Regards
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate