Eranthemum roseum

rashida atthar

Nov 24, 2009, 10:14:50 PM11/24/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Saw the first blooms of this beautiful and all too common plant at Aarey road, Mumbai on 22 Nov.'09. Am I correct in classifying these leaves as Attenuate leaves? Also seen on the plant older  flowers turning red.

After referencing to find out if  these flowers are fragrant or not, I find  some discrepancy. FOI website has it as fragrant.  FOS- pg 187: is saying .." Inflorescence with very strong odour" and Common Indian wild flowers -pg: 92 mentions "Flowers which fade to red, emit unpleasant odour".  Can this be resolved? Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.
Eranthemum roseum-Dasamuli .JPG
Eranthemum roseum buds funnel shaped tubek.JPG
Eranthemum roseum.JPG
Eranthenum roseum- older flowers red.JPG
Eranthemum roseum flower spikes leaves1.JPG
Eranthemum roseum flower spikes leaves 2.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Nov 25, 2009, 12:12:07 AM11/25/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
... commonly known as: rosy eranthemum, blue eranthemum • Hindi: दसमुली dasmuli • Konkani: रान अबोली ran aboli • Marathi: दसमुळी dasmuli, जंगली अबोली jungli aboli • Tamil: நீலமுள்ளி nila-mulli (apt for E. pulchellum)
Regards.

Rajesh Sachdev

Nov 25, 2009, 6:37:32 AM11/25/09
to indiantreepix, wildflowerindia, india-nature-pixs
Name of Species: Eranthemum roseum
Common Name:   Rosy Eranthemum (English) Dasmuli (Marathi)
Family: Acanthaceae
Conservation status: NA
Photographed: 22nd Nov., 2009
Location: Opp. Silonda Trail Gate, Sanjay Gandhi National Park
Camera: OLYMPUS SP570UZ
Lens: OLYMPUS ED LENS AF ZOOM 4.6 - 92 mm, 1:2.8 - 4.6

Regards
Rajesh Sachdev
Mumbai,India
+91 98902-55616
rajeshd...@googlemail.com
www.rajesh-sachdev.blogspot.com
http://picasaweb.google.co.in/leopardguy
---

“The tiger cannot be preserved in isolation. It is at the apex of a large and complex biotope. Its habitat, threatened by human intrusion, commercial forestry and cattle grazing must first be made inviolate.” - Ms Indira Gandhi
PB240121.JPG
PB240122.JPG
PB240123.JPG
PB240124.JPG

Dinesh Valke

Nov 25, 2009, 6:47:26 AM11/25/09
to Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix, wildflowerindia, india-nature-pixs
... commonly known as: bell weed, black weed, prostrate wild petunia • Bengali: ধমনী dhamani • Gujarati: કાળી ધમણ kali dhaman • Hindi: धामिन dhamin • Kannada: ಕರೆ ಬಣ್ಚ kare bancha • Malayalam: upudali • Marathi: भुई रुवेल bhui ruvel, kali dhavani • Sanskrit: dhanvan • Tamil: pottakanchi • Telugu: నీలాంబరము nil-ambaramu

Regards.

Swagat

Nov 27, 2009, 1:12:35 AM11/27/09
to Dinesh Valke, Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix, wildflowerindia, india-nature-pixs
Dear Dinesh,

I am confuesed...

In your previous e-mail to me you have mentioned....

Dear Swagat,

Some of the common names of Ruellia prostrata are:

Bengali: ধমনী dhamani
Gujarati: કાળી ધમણ kali dhaman
Hindi: धामिन dhamin

in Marathi too, there is a name: kali dhavani ... does that make sense ? ... if so how would it be spelled in Devanagari ?

As per 'Flora of Kolhapur District' by Dr. S. R. Yadav & Dr. Deshmukh 'Ruellia prostrata' is syn. of 'Dipteracanthus prostratus'

and here you have replyed Rajesh ji's plant of 'Eranthemum roseum'

my confusion is... all above three botanical names are of the same plant?

Regards,

~Swagat
9223217568

Dinesh Valke

Nov 27, 2009, 3:50:56 AM11/27/09
to Swagat, Rajesh Sachdev, indiantreepix, wildflowerindia
APOLOGIES for the blunder ... must have got worked up !!
Many thanks for pointing out the error in putting wrong set of names here.

Here is what Eranthemum roseum commonly known as: blue eranthemum, rosy eranthemum • Hindi: दसमुली dasmuli • Konkani: रान अबोली ran aboli • Marathi: दसमुळी dasmuli, जंगली अबोली jungli aboli • Tamil: நீலமுள்ளி nila-mulli (apt for E. pulchellum)

Thanks once again, dear Swagat.

Regards.