Dehisced fruits of Majidea zanguebarica

Mohan V. Chunkath

Jul 23, 2011, 1:47:53 PM7/23/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Friends,
Wanted to share this picture showing the dehisced fruits of Majidea zanguebarica or the Mgambo tree (Black Pearl Tree). Photographed in Adyar Theosophical Society Gardens, Chennai, Tamil Nadu State on 17 June, 2011.
Cheers,
Mohan
5841306129_32627c9742_o.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 23, 2011, 2:02:35 PM7/23/11
to Mohan V. Chunkath, indian...@googlegroups.com
Nice shot Mohan ji
tanay
--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.

Balkar Arya

Jul 23, 2011, 9:04:38 PM7/23/11
to tanay bose, Mohan V. Chunkath, indian...@googlegroups.com
Beautifully colored Mohan Ji. Thanks for sharing
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Mahadeswara

Jul 24, 2011, 1:22:28 AM7/24/11
to efloraofindia
Yes. Majidea zanguebarica . I have photographed this tree in K M F
School premises (opp. Theosophical society) on Besant Avenue.
Native to east Africa, the Mgambo Tree is sometimes referred to as
Velvet-seed Tree owing to its unique velvety black seeds, which are
displayed like pearls in the bright red interior of its fruit pods. So
ornamental are its seeds, they are often used in artisan jewelry and
the dried pods in the composition of bouquets .
On Jul 23, 10:47 pm, "Mohan V. Chunkath" <mohan.chunk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>  5841306129_32627c9742_o.jpg
> 545KViewDownload

Ushadi micromini

Jul 24, 2011, 1:41:53 AM7/24/11
to efloraofindia
wonderful picture.... above and by Prashant ji in flowers of india
site...

does anyone in this group have any pictures of artisan
jewellery made from these seeds?

Will it grow in hot moist weather of calcutta?
but before that I would like to know if it has a potential to harm
local flora or become a weedy problem?

Has any one in chennai theosophical society or in Bombay made
a study of such potential?

Usha di

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 24, 2011, 1:39:49 PM7/24/11