CG2010-3

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 7, 2010, 1:57:33 PM2/7/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Group Members,

   Please help in identification. Picture taken in Forest near Raipur, Chhattisgarh today.

Pankaj Oudhia
CG2010-3.jpg
CG2010-3A.jpg

Neil Soares

Feb 7, 2010, 9:39:39 PM2/7/10
to efloraofindia, Pankaj Oudhia
Hi Dr.Oudhia,
  They look like the fruit of Bhokar [Cordia dichotoma].
                              With regards,
                                Neil Soares.

R. Vijayasankar

Feb 8, 2010, 2:30:34 AM2/8/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Pankaj Oudhia
Diospyros ?!
--
With regards

R. Vijayasankar
FRLHT, Bangalore

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 8, 2010, 2:39:58 AM2/8/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Adding picture of tree.

Pankaj Oudhia
CG2010-3B (WinCE).jpg

Parjanya guru

Feb 8, 2010, 3:14:36 AM2/8/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, R. Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
I too agree with Ravishankar-jee..
May be a species of  Diospyros... Accrescent calyx in fruit are the characteristic..
 .. Pankaj jee...whether thefruits ewere turning yellowish orange on maturity..?
and the tree trunk had any blunts spines or lenticells..?
.. If so.. then, there's chance of  D. montana....
Please check.

Pankaj Oudhia

Feb 8, 2010, 3:24:05 AM2/8/10
to Parjanya guru, R. Vijayasankar, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
Parijanya ji,

The natives climbed easily on tree for collection of fruits. Not complained about spines while climbing.

It is in trade.

It is used in treatment of respiratory troubles traditionally.

This region is rich in Diospyros melanoxylon and Diospyros embryopteris, i.e. Tendu and MakadTendu in local language. They said that it seems like Tendu but not known as Tendu by local name.

We have to wait for its maturity for fruit color.

From literautres I am finding it near to Bistendu i.e. D.montana as fruits are not eaten.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

promila chaturvedi

Feb 9, 2010, 8:15:24 AM2/9/10
to pankaj...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
To me it looks like Cordia myxa-Lisora.
Promila

Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 00:27:33 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:27322] CG2010-3
From: pankaj...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear Group Members,

   Please help in identification. Picture taken in Forest near Raipur, Chhattisgarh today.

Pankaj Oudhia

Pardeshi S.

Feb 9, 2010, 11:47:39 PM2/9/10
to efloraofindia
it is a Diospyros fruit.
Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Feb 9, 6:15 pm, promila chaturvedi <landdes...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> To me it looks like Cordia myxa-Lisora.
>
> Promila
>

> Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 00:27:33 +0530
> Subject: [efloraofindia:27322] CG2010-3

> From: pankajoud...@gmail.com

> To: indian...@googlegroups.com
>
> Dear Group Members,
>
>    Please help in identification. Picture taken in Forest near Raipur, Chhattisgarh today.
>
> Pankaj Oudhia
>
> --

> Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hotmail Free.https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?id=60969

Parjanya guru

Feb 9, 2010, 11:51:32 PM2/9/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Thank you Pankaj-jee for a detailed field note..!
.. Another thing is.. in  D.montana.,  the inner bark is yellow.. plaease scrap a little and you will get the yellow colorisation.. this yellow inner bark is medicinal.. exploited by almost all tribals in south India..
.. Lets wait and see some more information from Pankaj jee..!
:)

J.M. Garg

Mar 8, 2010, 3:06:21 AM3/8/10
to efloraofindia, Pankaj Oudhia, satish pardeshi, Parjanya guru, Vijayasankar Raman, Neil Soares, promila chaturvedi

Earlier relevant feedback:

“They look like the fruit of Bhokar [Cordia dichotoma].
                              With regards,
                                Neil Soares.”

“Diospyros ?!” from Vijayasankar ji.

“I too agree with Ravishankar-jee..

May be a species of  Diospyros... Accrescent calyx in fruit are the characteristic..
 .. Pankaj jee...whether thefruits ewere turning yellowish orange on maturity..?
and the tree trunk had any blunts spines or lenticells..?
.. If so.. then, there's chance of  D. montana....
Please check.” from Parjanya ji.

"Parijanya ji,
The natives climbed easily on tree for collection of fruits. Not complained about spines while climbing.
It is in trade.
It is used in treatment of respiratory troubles traditionally.
This region is rich in Diospyros melanoxylon and Diospyros embryopteris, i.e. Tendu and MakadTendu in local language. They said that it seems like Tendu but not known as Tendu by local name.
We have to wait for its maturity for fruit color.
From literautres I am finding it near to Bistendu i.e. D.montana as fruits are not eaten.
regards
Pankaj Oudhia"

To me it looks like Cordia myxa-Lisora.
Promila"

"it is a Diospyros fruit.
Regards
 Satish Pardeshi"

"Thank you Pankaj-jee for a detailed field note..!
.. Another thing is.. in  D.montana.,  the inner bark is yellow.. plaease scrap a little and you will get the yellow colorisation.. this yellow inner bark is medicinal.. exploited by almost all tribals in south India..
.. Lets wait and see some more information from Pankaj jee..!
:)"

   Please help in identification. Picture taken in Forest near Raipur, Chhattisgarh today.

Pankaj Oudhia

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

CG2010-3.jpg