Mushroom for id 280510MK3

Muthu Karthick

May 29, 2010, 2:24:00 AM5/29/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please id this mushroom found on a rotting wood closer to river Moyar in Nilgiris North Forest Division.
Shot on 02 May 2010
Alt: ca. 500msl

--
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow

Inderjeet Sethi

May 29, 2010, 4:09:15 AM5/29/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dear Muthu,
It looks like Panellus stipticus. In this cap is yellowish breaking up into small scales, kidney or funnel shaped. Gills crowded, thin straight. Stipe short and lateral. This sp. is inedible, possibly poisonous.  This grows on dead branches or stumps of broadleaf trees. Can you please check about the luminosity of this mushroom at night?
With Regards,

~ik~
Dr.Inderjeet Kaur Sethi
Associate Professor
Department of Botany
SGTB Khalsa College
University of Delhi
Delhi-110007
M: 9818775237

tanay bose

May 29, 2010, 8:17:07 AM5/29/10
to Inderjeet Sethi, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Dear Muthu,

Inderjeet Ji is right this mushroom is indeed Panellus stipticus a bioluminescent genus of fungi from the family
Tricholomataceae order Agaricales where the gills shows the luminescent phenomenon. The best thing is that if you have touched the mushroom accidentally then you would have felt the cap is woolly or better to say velvety above. If you keep this mushroom in a dark room for about 0 minutes or so it will start to glow.

Regards
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Satish Chile

May 29, 2010, 9:26:05 AM5/29/10
to tanay bose, Inderjeet Sethi, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Indrajeet ji and Tanay I agree with you Panellus stipticus.

Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

tanay bose

May 29, 2010, 9:26:55 AM5/29/10
to Satish Chile, Inderjeet Sethi, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Thank you for the validation Satish ji
Tanay

Muthu Karthick

May 31, 2010, 4:12:02 AM5/31/10
to tanay bose, Satish Chile, Inderjeet Sethi, indiantreepix
Thank you very much Indrajeetji, Tanajji and Sathishji for the detailed information and id of the mushroom.

Next time, I try to keep this mushroom in a dark room and observe the bio-luminescence phenomenon;

raghu ananth

May 31, 2010, 4:48:52 AM5/31/10
to Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Satish Chile, Inderjeet Sethi, indiantreepix
Thanks Muthu'ji for sharing these wonderful mushroom pictures

With the onset of monsoon, I hope  eflora  photographers will go out for mushrooming, be able to capture  some amazing  bio-luminescence phenomenon through their lens in its  natural world. I think we need to look for them in  dark, hollow fallen tree logs. Hope experts will educate us in finding many of these-  Nature's Little Umbrella.

Regards

Raghu

May 31, 2010, 7:43:14 AM5/31/10
to raghu ananth, Muthu Karthick, tanay bose, Satish Chile, Inderjeet Sethi, indiantreepix
Hallo all

Nature's Little Umbrella

just remembered, in Marathi we used to call the mushrooms a crow's umbrella.
Regards
Nalini