Etymology- Madhuca longifolia

nivi tha

Jun 2, 2010, 3:32:16 AM6/2/10
to efloraofindia
Etymology No. 7

More discussion is going on in this plant..... we ll see the etymology....

Madhuca longifolia - Sapotaceae

Madhuca - Madhu- honey (Sanskrit)
longifolia- long leaves

--
Selvalakshmi S.
Doctoral scholar

tanay bose

Jun 2, 2010, 7:25:18 AM6/2/10
to nivi tha, efloraofindia
Yes you are right!!
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)

Satish Phadke

Jun 2, 2010, 1:46:51 PM6/2/10
to nivi tha, efloraofindia
But where is the Madhu from; Fruits, flowers, bark?

R. Vijayasankar

Jun 2, 2010, 3:18:39 PM6/2/10
to Satish Phadke, nivi tha, efloraofindia
There is another meaning for the term 'Madhu' that is 'drink (liquor)', isnt't it?
We all know country arrack is prepared by fermenting (dont know the recipe!) flowers of Mahua.
Anyway the 'madhu' is prepared from flowers.

With regards

R. Vijayasankar

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jun 2, 2010, 9:52:03 PM6/2/10
to R. Vijayasankar, Satish Phadke, nivi tha, efloraofindia
Flowers are sweet to taste, that's why fermentation is there and  that should be the reason for the name.
ak
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road
Gwalior. 474 005.
Tele: 0751-247 2233. Mobile 0 94253 09780.
My blogsite is at:
http://anandkbhatt.blogspot.com
(A new blogs has been added on 30 May 10.)
And the photo site:
www.flickr.com/photos/akbhatt/
Ten most  common surnames of Indians: Singh, Kumar, Sharma, Patel, Shah, Lal, Gupta, Bhat, Rao, Reddy. Cheers!

Satish Phadke

Jun 3, 2010, 4:39:08 AM6/3/10
to Anand Kumar Bhatt, R. Vijayasankar, nivi tha, efloraofindia
Thanks Vijaysankar ji and Anand ji.