Dendrobium orchids of Shillong

rashida atthar

Apr 2, 2009, 9:36:03 AM4/2/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Garg ji & all,

Shillong has the right climate for orchids to flourish. During our recent Botany visit to Shillong we saw every second tree with hanging Dendrobiums and vanda on their bark. Attaching pics of Dendrobiums on a plant and on  Toona ciliata making almost an umbrella on it. We saw this on 25th March '09 at the botanical park, Shillong.

An interesting facet was that the trees like Toona and Indian olive which are commonly seen in western ghats were equally common in Shillong!

regards,

Rashida Atthar

Twice the fun— Share photos while you chat with Windows Live Messenger.
Dendrobium orchid.jpg
Toona ciliata and Dendrobium orchids.jpg
Dendrobium orchids.jpg

J.M. Garg

Apr 2, 2009, 11:31:51 AM4/2/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Rashida ji.
It will be interesting to get the Id. Do you have better close- ups or slightly bigger pictures of say 800 by 600 pixels? If so, pl. post them for better identification.

sweedle cerejo

Apr 2, 2009, 12:21:28 PM4/2/09
to J.M. Garg, Indian Tree Pix
Hello!

        Was scanning through the Orchid section of 'Flowers of India' website and came across a similar specimen (link has been provided below). May be your orchid species is Dendrobium chrysanthum - Golden flowered Dendrobium.

Regards,
Sweedle

rashida atthar

Apr 3, 2009, 4:02:19 AM4/3/09
to jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Hi Garg ji,

It is mastersii orchid, so were told by the scientist from the eco park. But on net research it seems to be Cymbidium mastersii rather than Dendrobium. Request to kindly help ID this orchid. Thanks. Attaching two more pics.

regards

Rashida Atthar

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:01:51 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:10045] Re: Dendrobium orchids of Shillong
From: jmg...@gmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: indian...@googlegroups.com
mastersii orchid.jpg
mastersii Shilong.jpg

Hemant Tripathi

Apr 3, 2009, 4:14:51 AM4/3/09
to rashida atthar, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
that could be Dendrobium fimbriatum.

rashida atthar

Apr 3, 2009, 4:30:36 AM4/3/09
to hemanth...@gmail.com, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
yes I am confused, it could also be Dendrobium densiflorum !

regards

Rashida Atthar

Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:44:51 +0530
Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:10078] Re: Dendrobium orchids of Shillong
From: hemanth...@gmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
CC: jmg...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

Swapna Prabhu

Apr 3, 2009, 7:51:32 AM4/3/09
to rashida atthar, hemanth...@gmail.com, jmg...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida,

D. mastersii seems not to exist. So it must be wrong.

D. fimbriatum has a lip with delicate fimbriate margin. D. crysotoxum is another species with dark brown eye with slightly fimbriate margin though.

D. densiflorum has a compact druping raceme.

So I guess it's same as D. chrysanthum.

- regards,
Swapna.

2009/4/2 rashida atthar <rashid...@hotmail.com>