DV - 25AUG10 - 0735 :: ¿ Amaranthaceae / Asteraceae ?

Dinesh Valke

Sep 5, 2010, 12:47:41 PM9/5/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
... broadly guessing ...would this be a member of Amaranthaceae ? or is it Asteraceae ?
ID please.

Date/Time
: August 25, 2010 at 7.35am IST
Location Place : Pasarani Ghat, enroute Panchagani
Altitude : about 1175 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : around 17°56'12.03"N, 73°49'32.41"E

Habitat : hill slopes
Type :

Plant
Habit
: large erect herb, with grooved stem, branching from leaf axils, these slender branches resemble extra long spikes of inflorescence
Height : about 1 - 2 m
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
: simple with undulate margin, petiole with semi-circular c/s
Shape : oblong lanceolate, oblique base, mucronate tip
Size : basal leaves very large ... 15 - 20 cm x 6 - 7 cm

Inflorescence
Type
: clusters at nodes
Size : about 10 - 15 mm

Flowers
Size
: not sure, about 3 - 4 mm
Colour : white
Calyx : do not know
Bracts : do not know

Fruits
Type
: do not know
Shape : do not know
Size : do not know
Seeds : do not know

Other Info
Fragrance : do not know
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : do not know

Regards.
P1230653.jpg
P1230628.jpg
P1230631.jpg
P1230632.jpg
P1230633.jpg
P1230636.jpg
P1230642.jpg
P1230648.jpg
P1230650.jpg
P1230651.jpg

tanay bose

Sep 5, 2010, 9:23:00 PM9/5/10
to Dinesh Valke, efloraofindia
I think Amaranthaceae !!!!
Something very new to me
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

Nayan Singh

Sep 5, 2010, 9:53:42 PM9/5/10
to Dinesh Valke, indiantreepix
Dear Dinesh ji
to me your plant looks like some sp of Polygonaceae, my be some sp of Rumex
thanks
Nayan.

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Sep 5, 2010, 11:32:58 PM9/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Gurcharan ji, ... there is a melee of plants at the spot !! and therefore so many photos ... do you think two different plants are getting into focus ?

The plant in focus in photo # 2 ... P1230628.jpg is to my belief, the top part of another same plant whose ID is sought.
Not sure whether there are 2 / 3 same plants in that area ( 4' x 4' ).

Let me know if cropped version of any original photograph needs to be attached to get closer.
To avoid any ambiguity, you may ask for:
... top-left / top-right / bottom-left / bottom right /
OR
... top-center / right-center / bottom-center / left-center
OR
... simply, center.
OR
... please attach the photograph with the crop-portion marked.

Regards.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 5, 2010, 11:37:58 PM9/5/10
to Dinesh Valke, Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Dinesh ji
Second photograph is Chenopodium ambrosoides and some plants of Bidens pilosa

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Dinesh Valke

Sep 5, 2010, 11:52:09 PM9/5/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Many many thanks Gurcharan ji,
The crowd of plants confused me, not you !!!

So, there are indeed two plants that I have mixed up !!
Rumex dentatus and Chenopodium ambrosioides ... and on checking out how they look like at FOI and elsewhere on the internet, they both look confusingly alike to me at this moment.

Would conclude that all the photos are of Rumex dentatus, except for second, which shows Chenopodium ambrosioides.

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 6, 2010, 12:12:43 AM9/6/10
to Dinesh Valke, Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
Yes Dinesh ji

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Sep 6, 2010, 3:10:46 AM9/6/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Nayan Singh, indiantreepix
I was bowled this time
tanay