Benicasa hispida the Ash gourd or white pumpkin

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 7, 2010, 3:26:36 PM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Uploading Benincasa hispida, the Ash gourd or white pumkin, or white gourd, the favourite petha or petha kadu used as a vegetable and sweet preparations.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Benincasa-hispida-white-pumpkin-California.jpg
Benincasa-hispida-Delhi-1.jpg
Benincasa-hispida-Delhi-2.jpg
Benincasa-hispida-Delhi-3.jpg
Benincasa-hispida-white-pumpkin-California-2.jpg

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Oct 7, 2010, 3:52:14 PM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
Also called Wax Gourd. But what we get in India has smooth surface!!
Pankaj

tanay bose

Oct 7, 2010, 9:36:39 PM10/7/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Nice catch thanks for sharing
Tanay

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Dr Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Also called Wax Gourd. But what we get in India has smooth surface!!
Pankaj

--
Tanay Bose
Department of Botany.
University of British Columbia .
3529-6270 University Blvd.
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1Z4 (Canada)
Phone: 778-323-4036 (Mobile)
            604-822-2019 (Lab)

Balkar Arya

Oct 8, 2010, 12:17:15 PM10/8/10
to tanay bose, Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia

I think Agra ka Famous Petha manufactured from this fruit

--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat
Haryana-132103
09416262964

Pankaj Kumar

Oct 8, 2010, 12:30:06 PM10/8/10
to Balkar Arya, efloraofindia
Me with mouth watering expressions, "YES INDEED". :))
Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Balkar Arya

Oct 8, 2010, 1:25:09 PM10/8/10
to Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Thanks Pankaj Ji for validation

tanay bose

Oct 8, 2010, 3:59:53 PM10/8/10
to Balkar Arya, Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Yes Balkar ji right you are
tanay

Satish Phadke

Oct 10, 2010, 11:13:44 AM10/10/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
This is Kohala कोहळा in Marathi. Ingradient of Agra Petha and Kohale पाक.

mani nair

Oct 10, 2010, 11:17:19 AM10/10/10
to Satish Phadke, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Gurcharan ji, nice photo.  We use this in Sambhar.  One more item called "Olavan" is made from this mixed with Coconut milk.

Regards,

Mani.