Cucumis sativus the cucumber plant

Gurcharan Singh

Oct 7, 2010, 3:21:50 PM10/7/10
to efloraofindia
I am uploading Cucumis sativus var. sativus the common cucumber characterised by small tubercles on young fruits which disappear in mature fruits.
I am also uploading Dosakai a fruit often sold in Indian markets especially South India, a yellow nearly spherical cucumber, often added to sambar, soup, daal and also for making Dosa-Avakaya pickle and chutney. It is frequently sold in Guntur. Members are requested to find and upload photographs of plant and fruit from India. This one was being sold in an Indian store here.

Also in the focus should be C. sativus var. sikkimensis, Sikkim or Nepal cucumber. It is common in Eastern parts of India.

Members from Western India should locate and upload Puneri cucumber, also known as Poona kheera a light yellow delicious cucumber.

And finally C. sativus var. hardwickii, the wild bitter cucumber growing in NW India.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cucumis-sativus-Dosakai-California.jpg
Cucumis-sativus-sativus-California-1.jpg
Cucumis-sativus-sativus-California-2.jpg

Rashida Atthar

Oct 8, 2010, 12:33:01 AM10/8/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Nice pictures. Thank you sir for highlighting the major species region wise.

regards,
Rashida.