[efloraofindia:35777] Sternbergia lutea from Delhi

Gurcharan Singh

May 24, 2010, 3:09:05 AM5/24/10
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India

 Sternbergia lutea (L.) Ker Gawl. ex Spreng from Delhi, grown in gardens mostly in shaded places.

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

Sternbergia-lutea-Delhi-1.jpg
Sternbergia-lutea-Delhi-2.jpg
Sternbergia-lutea-Delhi-3.jpg

Madhuri Pejaver

May 24, 2010, 5:41:33 AM5/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India
This again is called as Lily. We get pink and yellow varity. Some plants grow smaller flowers with 6 perianth, while some larger with 9 or 12(not sure)perianth lobes. Sps different?
Madhuri

May 24, 2010, 7:06:55 AM5/24/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish ji
For correcting me once again. It is not the first time I have confused between Sternbergia and Zephyranthes. I wish I knew any stable characters to tell them apart except seeds. I could find hardly any from my L H Bailey.

Thanks once again

--

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

May 24, 2010, 8:10:56 AM5/24/10
to Gurcharan Singh, Tabish, efloraofindia
Zephyranthes citrina or rain lily indeed this grows wildly in the meadows of Bengal on maturity it gives 3 black colour quite big seeds.
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)