Plant for ID from Delhi

1 view

Gurcharan Singh-sify

Aug 6, 2009, 2:04:08 PM8/6/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Plant for ID from Delhi

This herb was found growing under tree shade in Old Delhi Ridge Forest. Photographed on August 6, 2009.

Gurcharan Singh
060809GS.jpg
060809GS1.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Aug 6, 2009, 8:57:26 PM8/6/09
to Gurcharan Singh-sify, Indian Tree Pix
.... Ruellia brittoniana (syn.: Ruellia tweediana) native to Mexico ... I think the plant has naturalised in India.
Regards.

Devendra Bhardwaj

Aug 6, 2009, 9:14:19 PM8/6/09
to Indian Tree Pix, Gurcharan Singh-sify
Hello Sir,
        It is Ruellia brittoniana

--- On Thu, 6/8/09, Gurcharan Singh-sify <sin...@sify.com> wrote:

See the Web's breaking stories, chosen by people like you. Check out Yahoo! Buzz.

Gurcharan Singh-sify

Aug 6, 2009, 11:23:28 PM8/6/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, Indian Tree Pix
Thanks Davendraji
Flora of Delhi mentions only R. tuberosa, of course a distinct species. Thanks again for help.

Gurcharan Singh

Sushmita Jha

Aug 7, 2009, 12:27:36 AM8/7/09
to Dinesh Valke, Gurcharan Singh-sify, Indian Tree Pix
I am growing this in a pot in my garden. Seed dispersal of this flower is very wide and am having to constantly weed them out from other areas in my garden.
Thank you for the name and information on this, Satish-ji - it has naturalised very well indeed - much like swine flu is now beginning to do!
Regards,
sushmita

satish pardeshi

Aug 7, 2009, 2:02:21 AM8/7/09
to indiantreepix
Hello all
A pink flowered form is also available for this Species.
commonly grown in traffic island in Churchgate, Mumbai.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Aug 7, 9:27 am, Sushmita Jha <sushmitas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am growing this in a pot in my garden. Seed dispersal of this flower is
> very wide and am having to constantly weed them out from other areas in my
> garden.
> Thank you for the name and information on this, Satish-ji - it has
> naturalised very well indeed - much like swine flu is now beginning to do!
> Regards,
> sushmita
>

> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 6:27 AM, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > .... *Ruellia brittoniana* (syn.: *Ruellia tweediana*) native to Mexico
> > ... I think the plant has naturalised in India.
> > Regards.
>
> > On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Gurcharan Singh-sify <sin...@sify.com>wrote:
>
> >>  Plant for ID from Delhi
>
> >> This herb was found growing under tree shade in Old Delhi Ridge Forest.
> >> Photographed on August 6, 2009.
>
> >> Gurcharan Singh- Hide quoted text -

Dr. Pankaj Kumar

Aug 26, 2009, 2:37:38 PM8/26/09
to indiantreepix
Ruellia tuberosa is a garden plant, most probably reported by Dr. J.
K. Maheshwari...

Gurcharan Singh

Aug 27, 2009, 7:50:54 AM8/27/09
to Dr. Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Dr Pankaj Ji, welcome to the group.
The plant photographed by me is not R. tuberosa. It is rather R.
brittoniana, as identified by Dinesh Valke earlier. The linear lobes,
absence of tubers, shorter flowers are distinctive.

Gurcharan Singh