Colocasia

Alok Goyal

Mar 15, 2011, 7:18:02 AM3/15/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

i am a bit confused about the botanical identification of 'Arbi/Arvi' and 'Kacahlu'. can anyone please differentiate...

Alok

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 15, 2011, 7:38:40 AM3/15/11
to Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
Colocasia  esculenta
The main corm (rounded rhizome) is kachalu, used in chaat. The the small lateral branches are sold as arvi, used as vegetable.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Gurcharan Singh

Mar 22, 2011, 8:42:49 AM3/22/11
to Alok Goyal, efloraofindia

Alok ji
Scars are there in plenty if observe them carefully. I am uploading my photograph
you may see this link also

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Alok Goyal <alok...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Gurcharan Ji,

I am sorry but i still doubt this is so. if the main corm is kachalu and the side branches are arvi. because if it is so then there should be some scar marks on the kachalu from where arvi has been plucked....????

Alok
Colocasia-esculenta-Kachalu-Delhi.jpg