Cedrus deodara from Kashmir

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 28, 2010, 10:46:16 PM7/28/10
to efloraofindia
Cedrus deodara from Kashmir, growing around Srinagar and lower altitudes in the valley, source of important timber wood Deodar. Photographed from Shankeracharya hill on June 23, 2010.

English: Deodar, Himalayan cedar
Sans: Devadaru, deodaru
Trade: Deodar

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Cedrus-deodara-Kashmir-a.jpg
Cedrus-deodara-Kashmir-b.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 29, 2010, 12:48:17 AM7/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Lovely catch of the plant, you also got hold of the cones!!
Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

mani nair

Jul 29, 2010, 5:00:06 AM7/29/10
to tanay bose, Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia
Dear Singh ji, nice pictures of the deodhar tree with cones.  I am sending a picture taken from Pahalgam.  Is it the same tree?

Regards,

Mani.
deodhar.jpg

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 29, 2010, 5:42:41 AM7/29/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, efloraofindia
Dear Mani ji
Deodar generally does not grow at this altitude. Your plant is Abies pindrow.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

tanay bose

Jul 29, 2010, 7:21:24 AM7/29/10
to Gurcharan Singh, mani nair, efloraofindia
Sir Ji is quite right Mani ji
Abies pindrow or West Himalayan Fir generally grows at an altitude between 2000-3000 mts throughout Western Himalaya from Afghanistan to Nepal.

Tanay

Dr Pankaj Kumar

Jul 29, 2010, 7:54:05 AM7/29/10
to efloraofindia
I imagine if this could be Picea smithiana.
Regards
Pankaj

Message has been deleted

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 29, 2010, 8:07:14 AM7/29/10
to Dr Pankaj Kumar, efloraofindia
Picea smithiana never grows that tall in Kashmir, also the crown is different. I have photographed all the four conifers from Kashmir in June visit. I will upload the other three (in addition to Cedrus deodara today) soon.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor
Phone: 011-25518297  Mob: 9810359089
http://people.du.ac.in/~singhg45/

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Dr Pankaj Kumar <sahani...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry my id was for Mr. Mani's post and not Mr. Gurcharan's.
Pankaj