¿ Cordia subcordata ?

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2009, 12:40:49 PM5/12/09
to Indian Tree Pix

Hello friends,

Would this be Cordia subcordata ? and not C. sebestena.
I ask because of green coloured sepals (C.sebestena has brown), relatively large-sized tree (I have seen C. sebestena to be small to medium sized)

Place: Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan
Date: 10 MAY 09

Regards.

P1250185.jpg
P1250188.jpg
P1250189.jpg

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2009, 12:48:03 PM5/12/09
to Indian Tree Pix
... I also want to add that the list of trees put at http://www.saveranibagh.org/botanicalWealth.html does not have any mention of C. subcordata, does list C. sebestena.
But then I also find one entry like this: Cassia surentensis White amaltas ... thus I do not want to completely depend on that list.

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2009, 11:30:43 PM5/12/09
to Sigo, Indian Tree Pix
... I have not yet compiled names of C. subcordata; the common names of C. sebestena I got as:
aloe wood, geranium tree, largeleaf geigertree, orange geiger tree, scarlet cordia, sea trumpet, sebesten plum tree, Spanish cordia, Texas olive, ziricote • Bengali: kamla buhal, raktarag • Hindi: लाल लसोड़ा lal lasora, bohari • Kannada: challekendala • Tamil: அச்சிநறுவிலி accinayuvili

Regards.

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Sigo <thegreath...@gmail.com> wrote:
what would be the common name?

Dinesh Valke

May 12, 2009, 11:33:05 PM5/12/09
to Rani Bhagat, Indian Tree Pix
OK, many thanks Rani ji ... any quick tip to differentiate C. subcordata from C. sebestena ?
Regards.

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Rani Bhagat <raani...@gmail.com> wrote:
no its Cordia sebestena only

--
Say yes to yes and no to no
Rani Bhagat

Tabish

May 13, 2009, 8:08:46 AM5/13/09
to indiantreepix
Dinesh, I think this should be Cordia subcordata, as you think.
Apart from the sepals, there is a difference in the leaves too. S.
sebestena leaves are supposed to be rough,
and those of S. subcordata smooth. You photograph shows smooth (almost
shiny) leaves.
Cheers!
- Tabish

On May 12, 9:40 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> Would this be *Cordia subcordata* ? and not *C. sebestena*.
> I ask because of green coloured sepals (*C.sebestena* has brown), relatively
> large-sized tree (I have seen *C. sebestena* to be small to medium sized)
>
> Place: Veermata Jijabai Bhosale Udyan
> Date: 10 MAY 09
>
> Regards.
>
>  P1250185.jpg
> 221KViewDownload
>
>  P1250188.jpg
> 213KViewDownload
>
>  P1250189.jpg
> 204KViewDownload

Dinesh Valke

May 13, 2009, 9:40:04 AM5/13/09
to Tabish, indiantreepix
... yes, yes Tabish ... my doubt arose seeing the leaves differring in shape, venation and the look of feel :)
Thank you very much.

Rani ji I thank you too ...if you yet consider it to be - sebestena, please put your thoughts.

Regards.