Orchid for id 030910MK2

Muthu Karthick

Sep 3, 2010, 6:15:19 AM9/3/10
to indiantreepix
Dear all,
Please help in id this Orchid. Could this be a species of Vanda?

Date/Time-

27-08-2010 / 02:00 PM

Location- Place, Altitude, GP

Moyar valley; ca. 250msl; TN

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

closer to river

Plant Habit-

Epiphyte on Tamarind tree

Height/Length-

Up to 1.5 metre

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

ca.2.5 X 20cm; acute apex; canaliculate

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

ca. 15cm across

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

4cm across; brownish pattern inside tepals; violet on the lower lobe. Spur: not more than 1cm

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org
Pi 021.jpg
Pi 028.jpg

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 3, 2010, 6:29:18 AM9/3/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Vanda tessellata (Roxb.) Hook. ex G.Don in J.C.Loudon, Hort. Brit.: 372 (1830).

Pankaj

Pankaj Kumar Ph.D. (Orchidaceae)
Research Associate
Department of Habitat Ecology
Wildlife Institute of India
Post Box # 18
Dehradun - 248001, India

Muthu Karthick

Sep 3, 2010, 6:34:19 AM9/3/10
to Pankaj Kumar, indiantreepix
Thank you very much for the identification sir. Is this the one called Rasna?

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 3, 2010, 6:40:34 AM9/3/10
to Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Some say this is Rasna, some say there is another plant. I am not so sure yet.
Pankaj

mani nair

Sep 3, 2010, 8:43:23 AM9/3/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Muthu Karthick, indiantreepix
Also known by the name checkered Vanda.

Regards,

Mani.

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 3, 2010, 10:00:58 AM9/3/10
to efloraofindia
Here is picture of Rasna sample available in local herb market.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=98860

It is hard to guess whether it is Pluchea or Vanda or anything else but when it is used as medicine,  experts identify it as the effects of Pluchea and Vanda are different.

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

tanay bose

Sep 3, 2010, 1:52:29 PM9/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Vanda tessellata  common one atlest happy that I know 1 orchid's name
HA HA ha
Tanay

--
Tanay Bose
Research Assistant & Teaching Assistant

360.gif

Pankaj Kumar

Sep 3, 2010, 2:00:12 PM9/3/10
to Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
I was not born with orchid names written over my body as Gajini. When I started my PhD, I knew just one orchid. So start from now onwards and you will learn....
Pankaj

tanay bose

Sep 3, 2010, 2:04:52 PM9/3/10
to Pankaj Kumar, Pankaj Oudhia, efloraofindia
Alas Dr.Pankaj I am not an orchidologist or Taxonomist
I work with fossild, fungi and evolutionary lineages
tanay