Request for explanation-Foam below tree

rashida atthar

Jun 30, 2009, 1:22:14 AM6/30/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear friends,

At the southern end of the national park in Mumbai, this fascinating phenomenon was seen yesterday and on previous days too. During rains there is a straight streak of water falling from the bark of Mitragyna parviflora onto the ground creating this foam, this foam keeps increasing as the water keeps falling on it.  What component of the bark is responsible for this? Or is it something else? An explanation will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

regards,
Rashida.

Get easy photo sharing with Windows Live™ Photos. Drag n’ drop
Foam below Mitragyna1.jpg
Foam below Mitragyna 2.jpg
Foam below Mitragyna 3.jpg

Usha Desai

Jun 30, 2009, 3:53:07 AM6/30/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
 Hi Rashida
 I have seen similar phenomenon with RainTree[Samanea saman]
during rainy season....
Usha

Pankaj Oudhia

Jun 30, 2009, 4:41:51 AM6/30/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Yazdy Palia

Jun 30, 2009, 6:45:55 AM6/30/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Rashida,
In the first place what is the size of this foam? It could be the foam
created by the green tree frog. During the monsoon, they mate in a
place that is just over a little stream or above a pond. It could be
on top of a tree branch or on the walls of a tank. As they mate, the
female lets the eggs out and the male releases the sperm all the time
whipping up a foam. The eggs are held in this foam till it hatches and
then the tadpoles drop into the stream and start swimming. They remain
till the life cycle is complete and then get out of the stream and
start life all over again. The question is how big is the foam. If it
is anything up to around 4 to 5 inches, this may be the cause.
Regards
Yazdy

On Tue, Jun 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM, rashida

rashida atthar

Jul 1, 2009, 8:01:08 AM7/1/09
to pankaj...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for the various links Pankaj ji. Your research note on the Neem mad  is very interesting.

Most say that the spittle bug foam is mostly on the upper level on shrubs, branches as is seen in your two pics also, secretion of some sort seems to be more close. However as you have mentioned the correct scientific explanation is still awaited. In the meantime I will continue to observe the spot.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 14:11:51 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:13967] Re: Request for explanation-Foam below tree
From: pankaj...@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

rashida atthar

Jul 1, 2009, 8:13:12 AM7/1/09
to yazdy...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Yazdy ji for explaning one of the possible reasons for the foam. The stream is away from this spot and there is no pond too. As I observed the foam kept increasing with the falling streak of water from the bark so it is unlikely to be mating frogs. However more observations needed I suppose.

regards,
Rashida.    l

> Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 16:15:55 +0530
> Subject: [indiantreepix:13969] Re: Request for explanation-Foam below tree
> From: yazdy...@gmail.com
> To: rashid...@hotmail.com
> CC: indian...@googlegroups.com

JAMES OVERTON

Jul 1, 2009, 8:36:44 AM7/1/09
to rashid...@hotmail.com, Indian tree pics
Just to try another idea, Mitragyna parvifolia contains saponins. Could the water running down the trunk or dripping from a branch be leaching these compounds out and causing the foam?

Max

Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overton http://www.maxoverton.com

The Lion of Scythia Trilogy - EPPIE winners 2005 and 2006
The Glass House Trilogy (Eppie finalists), A Cry of Shadows, The Devil is in the Details,  Trapdoor, Tapestry
Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book 2 of the Amarnan Kings),
Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Ay (Book 4 of the Amarnan Kings), Rakshasa, Glass Continuum, Ascension
Works in Progress: Djinn, Scarab - Horemheb (Book 5 of the Amarnan Kings)

Also check out http://julesphotographiccreations.blogspot.com/

From: rashid...@hotmail.com
To: pankaj...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [indiantreepix:14007] Re: Request for explanation-Foam below tree
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:01:08 +0000

formp...@yahoo.com

Jul 1, 2009, 11:31:04 AM7/1/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com, yazdy...@gmail.com
Hello all,
According to me there might be some little gum, soap frming agent in the bark. That might be causing saponification.
What Yardiji has explained that nest hangs on the plant just above stream or puddle of water. Does not come down with water
Madhuri

Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: rashida atthar
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 12:13:12 +0000
To: <yazdy...@gmail.com>
Subject: [indiantreepix:14008] Re: Request for explanation-Foam below tree

rashida atthar

Jul 2, 2009, 3:01:33 AM7/2/09
to maxov...@hotmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the idea Mr. Overton. Seems quite plausible, but the entire circumference of the base is not showing the foam, it is repeated at one spot only, that remains to be understood.

regards,
Rashida.

From: maxov...@hotmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [indiantreepix:14010] Re: Request for explanation-Foam below tree
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 07:36:44 -0500

rashida atthar

Jul 3, 2009, 1:52:01 AM7/3/09
to formp...@yahoo.com, indian...@googlegroups.com, yazdy...@gmail.com
Thank you Madhuri ji for putting forte another possible cause. Sorry for the delay in my response. Perhaps there is some more acid/alkaline elements in the ground also which could lead to this? It would be interesting to know If Pankaj ji found any specific compounds in the neem mad which could be related to this foam too?  Thanks again.

regards,
Rashida.

Subject: [indiantreepix:14030] Re: Request for explanation-Foam below tree
To: rashid...@hotmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com; yazdy...@gmail.com
From: formp...@yahoo.com
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 15:31:04 +0000

Madhuri Pejaver

Jul 3, 2009, 3:34:06 AM7/3/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com, yazdy...@gmail.com, rashida atthar

yes ground elements can also be one possibility
madhuri

> Thank you Madhuri ji for putting forte another possible
> cause. Sorry for the delay in my response. Perhaps there is
> some more acid/alkaline elements in the ground also which
> could lead to this? It would be interesting to know If
> Pankaj ji found any specific compounds in the neem mad
> which could be related to this foam too?  Thanks
> again.
>

> regards,
>
> Rashida.
>

> Subject: [indiantreepix:14030] Re: Request for
> explanation-Foam below tree
> To: rashid...@hotmail.com;
> indian...@googlegroups.com; yazdy...@gmail.com
> From: formp...@yahoo.com
> Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 15:31:04 +0000
>

> #yiv1399504838 .ExternalClass .EC_hmmessage P
> {padding:0px;}
> #yiv1399504838 .ExternalClass body.EC_hmmessage
> {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}
>
> Hello all,
> According to me there might be some little gum, soap frming
> agent in the bark. That might be causing saponification.
> What Yardiji has explained that nest hangs on the plant
> just above stream or puddle of water. Does not come down
> with water
> Madhuri
> Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Yahoo! recommends that you upgrade to the new and safer Internet Explorer 8. http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/internetexplorer/

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 29, 2010, 2:26:34 AM1/29/10
to efloraofindia
Hi Rashida,

   One more interesting observation in this context.

http://pankajinprintmedia.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post_4307.html

Pankaj Oudhia

Pankaj Oudhia

Jan 30, 2010, 12:53:35 AM1/30/10
to rashida atthar, efloraofindia
Please click on jpg file or image in given link. It will help you to see it in larger fonts.

Pankaj Oudhia

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM, rashida atthar <rashid...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Thank you so much Pankaj ji. I was not able to read the print even in zoom. Is is possible to send a larger print? Thanks a lot or an abstract of what you have written. Thanks a lot.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 12:56:34 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:26867] Re: [indiantreepix:14086] Re: Request for explanation-Foam below tree