Request for ID : 050410-AK-1

Aarti S. Khale

Apr 5, 2010, 3:30:03 AM4/5/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com

Date/Time : 1st of December, 2009/ 1.27 pm
Location Place : Pratapgadh, Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra ... Altitude :  ... GPS : ...
Habitat : Wild ... Type :
Plant Habit : tree ... Height : medium ... Length :  ...
Leaves Type :  ... Shape : as seen ... Size
Inflorescence Type :  ... Size : ...
Flowers Size : about 1 cm ... Colour : white ... Calyx :  ... Bracts
Fruits Type :not present when picture was taken  ... Shape :  ... Size :  ... Seeds

Other Info :
Fragrance : did not check ...  Pollinator :  ...  Uses

Found growing wild at the base of Pratapgadh.
Some Atalantia species?
Aarti
DSCN9338.JPG

Parjanya guru

Apr 5, 2010, 3:34:54 AM4/5/10
to Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
.. A member of Family  Rutaceae..
 May be an  Atlantia..?

Parjanya guru

Apr 5, 2010, 7:12:31 AM4/5/10
to Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Its not ALTANTIA.., But ATLANTIA.(Like Atlantia monophylla). please verify Satishjee.....

On 4/5/10, Satish Chile <chile...@gmail.com> wrote:
I agree a member of Rutaceae.
But Altantia ? Is there a genus ?
--
Dr. Satish Kumar Chile

Satish Chile

Apr 5, 2010, 7:07:34 AM4/5/10
to Parjanya guru, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
I agree a member of Rutaceae.
But Altantia ? Is there a genus ?

tanay bose

Apr 5, 2010, 12:33:13 PM4/5/10
to Parjanya guru, Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Parjanya Ji,
I hope the plant is the attached photo is Atalantia buxifolia (Poiret) Oliver ex Bentham, Fl. Hongk. 51. 1861. because of the unique notch at the tip of the leaf which absent in A monophylla commonly found in India.
Regards
Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Muthu Karthick

Apr 5, 2010, 12:58:15 PM4/5/10
to tanay bose, Parjanya guru, Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,
This tree is Atalantia monophylla (L.) Correa, as the retuse tip and the leaf shape confirms.
Tanayji, Presence of unique leaf notch is the characteristic feature of Atalantia monophylla (L.) Correa.
Muthu Karthick, N
Junior Research Fellow
Care Earth Trust
Chennai - 61
www.careearthtrust.org

tanay bose

Apr 5, 2010, 1:02:48 PM4/5/10
to Muthu Karthick, Parjanya guru, Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear Muthu ji,
Thank you I made a terrible mistake thanks for making me aware.
Regards
Tanay

Parjanya guru

Apr 6, 2010, 5:27:23 AM4/6/10
to tanay bose, Muthu Karthick, Satish Chile, Aarti S. Khale, indian...@googlegroups.com
I Agree with Karthick..
 The plant is defianately Atalantia monophylla (L.) Correa.

shrikant ingalhalikar

Apr 6, 2010, 1:47:39 PM4/6/10
to efloraofindia
The key character for A. monophylla of calyx irregularly lobed and
split to the base on one side can not be seen in the picture. Flowers
are not seen crowded in axillary fascicles, they are in racemes.
Leaves are not bright green. I hence feel that the plant (with the
limited info available) can be said to be A. racemosa Wight. I have
been searching for A. monophylla in W. ghats for last several years
but have not found one as yet. I would be keen to see myself if some
one can show. Regards, Shrikant

On Apr 5, 12:30 pm, "Aarti S. Khale" <aarti.kh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  *Date/Time* : 1st of December, 2009/ 1.27 pm
> *Location Place* : Pratapgadh, Mahabaleshwar, Maharashtra ... *Altitude* :
> ... *GPS* : ...
> *Habitat* : Wild ... *Type* :
> *Plant Habit* : tree ... *Height *: medium ... *Length* :  ...
> *Leaves Type *:  ... *Shape* : as seen ... *Size* :
> *Inflorescence Type* :  ... *Size* : ...
> *Flowers Size* : about 1 cm ... *Colour* : white ... *Calyx* :  ... *Bracts*:
> *Fruits Type* :not present when picture was taken  ... *Shape *:  ...
> *Size*:  ...
> *Seeds* :
>
> *Other Info* :
> *Fragrance* : did not check ...  *Pollinator* :  ...  *Uses* :

> Found growing wild at the base of Pratapgadh.
> Some Atalantia species?
> Aarti
>

>  DSCN9338.JPG
> 124KViewDownload

Muthu Karthick

Apr 7, 2010, 2:39:51 AM4/7/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear Shrikantji,
I have seen some Atalantia monophylla in the southern part of Western Ghats. i.e. areas closer to Nilgiris.
The locations were relatively mid-altitudes.

J.M. Garg

May 6, 2010, 4:35:07 AM5/6/10
to efloraofindia, Aarti S. Khale, tanay bose, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Gurcharan Singh, Parjanya guru, Satish Chile, Muthu Karthick

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“This tree is Atalantia monophylla (L.) Correa, as the retuse tip and the leaf shape confirms.
Tanayji, Presence of unique leaf notch is the characteristic feature of Atalantia monophylla (L.) Correa.” from Muthu ji

"The key character for A. monophylla of calyx irregularly lobed and
split to the base on one side can not be seen in the picture. Flowers
are not seen crowded in axillary fascicles, they are in racemes.
Leaves are not bright green. I hence feel that the plant (with the
limited info available) can be said to be A. racemosa Wight.
I have
been searching for A. monophylla in W. ghats for last several years
but have not found one as yet. I would be keen to see myself if some
one can show. Regards, Shrikant"

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)
DSCN9338.JPG

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2010, 4:51:50 AM5/26/10
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Muthu Karthick, Parjanya guru, tanay bose, Aarti S. Khale, navendu page
Pl. see more feedback as given below along with one picture only:
"Sorry I couldn't attach my images while replying to the Atalantia discussion. So sending my comments to you. Please attach it to the discussion.
All species of Atalantia except A. missionis have emarginate or retuse leaves. In racemosa and monophylla the filaments are fused to form a tube or a cup as seen the picture. However monophylla has much shorter cymes and not as long as seen here in the posted picture. Therefore this one should be A. racemosa. I am attaching my pictures of what I have identified as A. monophylla from wet evergreen forests close to Karnataka- Kerala border.
Also attaching another species of Atalantia which I photographed in a dry scrub habitat near Kollegal. This one has pubescent inflorescence and petioles. Cant identify what it is.
navendu
--
Navendu Page
PhD student

A.monophylla.JPG

J.M. Garg

May 26, 2010, 5:44:36 AM5/26/10
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Muthu Karthick, Parjanya guru, tanay bose, Aarti S. Khale, navendu page
Another attachment from Navendu ji as indicated in his reply.
Atalantia_not_sure_which.JPG