id required : spice 12

sachin pandhare

Feb 10, 2009, 3:09:27 PM2/10/09
to treepix Indian
Hi,
I am sending you some spices used for making
could you please let me know the identification for them and the scientific names.

there will be around 15 spices.

thanks,
Sachin

PS: i just know that these should be one of the following (all marathi names)
Dongari, Safed, Shaha, Lasani, Shatavari, Panjabi, Kambarkas, DoodhKaLi, PimpaLi, Gathi, Bedana, Isabgol, Talimkhana, Motha Gokharu, Soonth
spice_12.jpg

Nayan Singh

Feb 14, 2009, 9:53:21 PM2/14/09
to sachin pandhare, treepix Indian
Looks like Dactylorhiza hatagirea, Tuber used medicinally, found in higher Himalaya, from Orchidaceae
Cheers

N.S.Dungriyal IFS
Chief Conservator of Forests
and Field Director
Satpura Tiger Reserve Hoshangabad
M.P.
09424792100

Feb 15, 2009, 12:20:30 PM2/15/09
to sachin pandhare, treepix Indian
Hi Sachin,
It could be Safed musli, though safed musli is longer. It could also
be some kind of asperagus.
Safed musli's Botanical name is Chlorophytum Borivilianum.
The picture of the plant or leaves would help.
Regards
Yazdy Palia.

J.M. Garg

Mar 21, 2009, 11:59:51 PM3/21/09
to indiantreepix
Any other feedback pl.

Sachin further clarified as:
"Hi All,
just to tell you more on the usage of these spices (?).
we use them to make 'Laddoo' of medicinal value for women who have given
birth to baby. we also add other dry fruits to it.

so i am not sure if they can be called spices. sorry if i might have misled
you folks.
thanks to all for helping me in identifying these.

Sachin"

Mar 22, 2009, 1:22:07 PM3/22/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Hello
These are roots of Asparagus racemosus

Mar 22, 2009, 10:26:53 PM3/22/09
to mangala borkar, indiantreepix
Thanks, Nayan ji, Yazdi ji, Mangala ji,

JANAKI TURAGA

Mar 24, 2009, 3:27:12 AM3/24/09
to treepix Indian

Hi Sachin,
This mail is with regard to all the 'spices' posted by you for identification and your subsequent clarification that all these are used for post delivery nourishment for the mother.
All this is very interesting and intriguing.
So I have a suggestion:
If you do know which spice is called in Marathi, can you repost the corresponding Marathi name of each spice?
This would make the search more fruitful and interesting.
Also can you post the recipe for the 'laddus'?
Janaki Turaga