what is this tree

Alok Goyal

Mar 31, 2011, 3:12:37 AM3/31/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Location- chandigarh
habit- medium sized Tree
habitat- shot at a garden
temperature- 15 degree C minimum
fruits- still raw almost 1inch across, round
taste like that of the raw Terminalia bellirica fruit. tongue and lips feel rough...
fruit very smooth surfaced and shiny
the red leaves are old leaves and about to fall.
new leaves are appearing....
Picture 298.jpg
Picture 299.jpg

Vijayasankar

Mar 31, 2011, 10:38:37 AM3/31/11
to Alok Goyal, indian...@googlegroups.com
The globose fruits, and red mature leaves point to Elaeocarpus ganitrus.
(If the id is right) Ripe fruits are purplish blue and the fleshy pericarp is edible. Seen inside is the 'Rudhraksh' !

Regards

Vijayasankar Raman
University of Mississippi

J.M. Garg

Jul 9, 2011, 3:10:16 AM7/9/11
to efloraofindia, shalint...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, Pinki, Vijayasankar Raman, sing...@gmail.com, char...@gmail.com, rgee...@gmail.com, anup....@gmail.com, p_chit...@yahoo.co.in, tab...@gmail.com, nit...@gmail.com, anit...@gmail.com, ishwar...@rediffmail.com

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“The globose fruits, and red mature leaves point to Elaeocarpus ganitrus.

(If the id is right) Ripe fruits are purplish blue and the fleshy pericarp is edible. Seen inside is the 'Rudhraksh' !

Regards
Vijayasankar Raman”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1630 members & 73,000 messages on 30/6/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

Picture 298.jpg
Picture 299.jpg

ajinkya gadave

Jul 9, 2011, 4:12:15 AM7/9/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, shalint...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, Pinki, Vijayasankar Raman, sing...@gmail.com, char...@gmail.com, rgee...@gmail.com, anup....@gmail.com, p_chit...@yahoo.co.in, tab...@gmail.com, nit...@gmail.com, anit...@gmail.com, ishwar...@rediffmail.com
Fruits looks like rudrakhsa  ( रुद्राक्ष )

amit chauhan

Jul 9, 2011, 4:27:52 AM7/9/11
to ajinkya gadave, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, shalint...@gmail.com, balka...@gmail.com, nidhans...@gmail.com, Pinki, Vijayasankar Raman, sing...@gmail.com, char...@gmail.com, rgee...@gmail.com, anup....@gmail.com, p_chit...@yahoo.co.in, tab...@gmail.com, nit...@gmail.com, anit...@gmail.com, ishwar...@rediffmail.com
Hi,

Rudraksha

regards

--