Cocoloba uvifera-Sea grape

rashida atthar

Aug 30, 2009, 9:14:42 PM8/30/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com

This Cocoloba uvifera also called Horsewood and sea grape tree, was seen flowering and fruiting at Sagar Upvan (BPT gardens, Colaba), Mumbai on 30 August '09.

regards,
Rashida.

Are you an untamed, bizarre or daring explorer? Find out now! Drag n' drop
Cocoloba uvifera.jpg
Cocoloba uvifera clustered flowers.jpg
cocoluba fruits.jpg

Barry Stock

Aug 30, 2009, 9:31:59 PM8/30/09
to rashida atthar, indian...@googlegroups.com
What a pleasant surprise, to see a native plant from Florida, flowering and fruiting in India! If you can beat the birds to the ripe fruit (it turns purple like a grape), it is quite tasty, even if the flesh is a little bit thin.

Thanks Rashida,

Barry Stock
Hollywood, Florida, USA

<Cocoloba uvifera.jpg><Cocoloba uvifera clustered flowers.jpg><cocoluba fruits.jpg>

rashida atthar

Aug 30, 2009, 10:30:48 PM8/30/09
to barry...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mr. Barry. This tree seems to have adapted well, the garden is near the sea so  the climate is right.Very few of these may be across India, mostly in parks and garden.

regards,
Rashida.

CC: indian...@googlegroups.com
From: barry...@gmail.com
To: rashid...@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [indiantreepix:17231] Cocoloba uvifera-Sea grape
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 21:31:59 -0400

Padmini Raghavan

Aug 31, 2009, 12:07:42 PM8/31/09
to rashida atthar, barry...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
There is one tree in a park at Mylapore in Chennai.
(Nageswara Rao Park.)
I shall make it a point to check if it is flowering now.
Padmini Raghavan.

rashida atthar

Aug 31, 2009, 1:53:51 PM8/31/09
to pad...@gmail.com, barry...@gmail.com, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Padmini ji for the addional info. I hope you get to see the flowering, it will be nice to know this. Recently I have observed that there is variation of time  in fruiting and flowering of some trees in Mumbai as compared to Delhi.

regards,
Rashida.

Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:37:42 +0530
Subject: [indiantreepix:17261] Re: Cocoloba uvifera-Sea grape