Trianthema portulacastrum L. (two plants with different stem colours)

Suresh C. Sharma

May 23, 2009, 10:13:51 AM5/23/09
to indiantreepix
I am attaching two pix of Santi (Trianthema portulacastrum L.) I saw this morning growing along a road.
Sonepat, Haryana, 23 Mar 09.

One plant shows greenish stem with white flower, whereas the second plant growing side by side shows pink-shaded stem. Are these two different races of T. portulacastrum?

I eat its 'Hara sag' (cooked green vegetables) which is made with its green leaves, boiled and fried - during monsoon months.

I could not find this plant in indiantreepix database, but here is a link :

Regards,
Suresh C. Sharma
Picture-012.jpg
Picture-013.jpg