Ashta - अष्टा

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2009, 4:57:00 AM9/23/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Hello friends,

Some days back, I was queried whether there is any other variety of peepal tree (Ficus religiosa) ... to which I responded -- it could be the wild peepal or the rock peepal (Ficus arnottiana).
To which I got a NO - he was aware of F. arnottiana.

The main difference I was told lies in the leaves ... they are relatively fleshier, rather thick would be correct description ... these do not sway with the breeze or cause as much rustling sound.
The person referred an Hindi textbook called Vrukshayurved वृक्षार्युर्वेद which mentions this different peepal, known by the name ashta अष्टा.

Another point of difference, which I could not agree is that these trees' leaf's venation end up joined at the margin -- I figure this happens in peepal too.

Any reasoning ?

Regards.

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2009, 5:36:31 AM9/23/09
to Indian Tree Pix
... attaching photo of the ashta leaf.
Regards.
DSC00659.jpg

JANAKI TURAGA

Sep 23, 2009, 8:54:51 AM9/23/09
to Dinesh Valke, treepix Indian
Dear Dinesh,
This is very interesting. I was under the impression that there was only ficus religiosa species.
Could you post more pictures of Ficus arnottiana, if you have.
Also can you do a comparsion between the two species with photos of leaf, tree profile, figs and the areas that they are found.
F religiosa has an all India range.
So what could be the range of F arnottiana? Are there any medicinal uses for it?
Kind Regards
Janaki Turaga

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2009, 9:18:16 AM9/23/09
to Satish Phadke, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
... no, Satish ji ... the person claims it is a peepal tree but with difference in leaves that I have put in the post.
A photo of the leaf is attached too.
Here it is one again attached for your reference.
Regards.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Satish Phadke <phadke...@gmail.com> wrote:
There is one Pimparni(Marathi) tree in Konkan area but different from Thespesia or Paras bhendi. I coudn't find any details on net. Do you mean that? The leaves are similar to Peepal
Satish Phadke

2009/9/23 JANAKI TURAGA <janaki...@gmail.com>
DSC00659.jpg

Satish Phadke

Sep 23, 2009, 9:11:46 AM9/23/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, Dinesh Valke, treepix Indian

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Vijayadas D

Sep 23, 2009, 9:23:33 AM9/23/09
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Really I am confused with this discussion.  If have informative  images of different plants  , so that can avoid confusion.

2009/9/23 JANAKI TURAGA <janaki...@gmail.com>

--
VijayadasD
Horticulturalist / Estates Supervisor Deputy
Electro Saudi Services Ltd
Salwa Garden Village
Riyadh-11462,PBNO-7210
KSA
vijayadas.wetpaint.com

Ferns are funniest plants..............!!!!!

Dinesh Valke

Sep 23, 2009, 9:37:00 AM9/23/09
to JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Janaki ji,

Ficus arnottiana (syn. Urostigma arnottianum) -- botanically, is not a variety of F. religiosa, it is a distinct species ... I gather from internet that it is native to India and Sri Lanka.

... commonly known as: Indian rock fig, rock pipal, waved-leaved fig tree, wild pipal • Gujarati: ખડક પાયર khadak payar • Hindi: bassari, palhi, पारस पिपल paras pipal, pilkhan, पिंपली pimpli • Kannada: ಕಲ್ಲ ಅಶ್ವತ್ಥ kalla ashvattha • Malayalam: കല്ലരയാല്‍ kallarayal • Marathi: पायर payar, कडक पाईर kadak payer, पिपळी pipli • Sanskrit: परीस parisah, प्लावक plavaka, प्लवंग plavanga • Tamil: கொடியரசு kotiyarasu • Telugu: కల్లరావి kallaravi, కొండ రావి konda ravi

Within India, the distribution can be fairly gaged from the names in regional languages.

Note the tip of leaf, and the venation -- different from F. religiosa.

Dr Gurcharan Singh

Sep 23, 2009, 12:07:21 PM9/23/09
to Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
2009/9/23 JANAKI TURAGA <janaki...@gmail.com>

The difference is quite well explained on Flowers of India website

http://www.flowersofindia.net/catalog/slides/Indian%20Rock%20Fig.html

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor, Department of Botany, SGTB Khalsa College

Saili Palande

Sep 23, 2009, 1:28:10 PM9/23/09
to Dr Gurcharan Singh, Dinesh Valke, Satish Phadke, JANAKI TURAGA, treepix Indian
Hello all,

This variety of Ficus religiosa is indeed intriguing... As rightly said by Mr. Dinesh Walke, Ficus arnottiana is a different species altogether...

There exist intramarginal vein for Ficus religiosa  then how is this new variety different..?

Also, thickness of the leaf is a relative term.. Am not clear how to distinguish...

Can someone please shed more light on the differences...?

Thanks,
Saili Palande Datar
--
Saili K. Palande-Datar

Kalpavriksh Environmental Action Group
Apt. 5 Shree Dutta Krupa
908 Deccan Gymkhana
Pune 411004
Tel: 91-20-25675450
Tel/Fax: 91-20-25654239
Email: sail...@gmail.com
Website:  www.kalpavriksh.org

Those who forget history are most likely to repeat it.