Fungi for ID 050909Jm2

J.M. Garg

Sep 5, 2009, 5:16:30 AM9/5/09
to indiantreepix
On forest floor at Narshapur forest near Hyderabad on 30/8/09.
Both found together under huge forest trees/ lianas/ cover with little light reaching there, close to a water channel.
Are both shapes of the same species?
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

Fungi for ID I IMG_1231.jpg
Fungi for ID I IMG_1233.jpg
Fungi for ID I IMG_1234.jpg
Fungi for ID I IMG_1235.jpg
Fungi for ID I IMG_1236.jpg

nabha meghani

Sep 5, 2009, 6:05:21 AM9/5/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Hallo Garg ji,
this mushroom looks to me from the family parasol mushroom, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasol_mushroom
See if the characters match. I can't say, if the ones we find in europe are much different than the ones in India. In Europe we eat the parasol mushrooms, very nice aroma. But one has to be sure of the identity.
Regards
Nalini

Pankaj Oudhia

Sep 5, 2009, 7:01:08 AM9/5/09
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Garg ji,

Please check these pictures.

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=104304

http://ecoport.org/ep?SearchType=pdb&PdbID=104306

Experts from CABI, UK identified it as Macrolepiota, through pestnet
yahoo group.

Pankaj Oudhia

J.M. Garg

Sep 7, 2009, 7:33:39 AM9/7/09
to indiantreepix
A reply from Kiran ji:
"The first two photographs seem to be of the edible mushroom as already
identified. I photographed one the size of small dinner plate in the
national park in Mumbai.
Cheers,
Kiran
Mumbai"

Inderjeet Sethi

Sep 11, 2009, 8:18:26 AM9/11/09
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Dear Gargji,
These mushrooms are commonly known as 'Field Parasol' and botanically known as Macrolepiota procera. I was in Leh, Ladakh and have returned today only. I have taken pictures of various plants growing there. Will send u for identification.
Regards,
IK Sethi

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 11, 2009, 8:49:00 AM9/11/09
to Inderjeet Sethi, J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Welcome back from Ladakh Dr Sethi

Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor
SGTB Khalsa College