... striking leaves - mangrove species

Dinesh Valke

Jun 28, 2009, 3:14:51 AM6/28/09
to Indian Tree Pix
Hello friends,

Can you me some idea of this mangrove plant - the green leaves are turning to striking red-orange (hope it is not the other way round).

Place: Vaghbil near Vasai creek, Thane
Date: 27 JUN 09

Regards.

P1000837.jpg
P1000830.jpg

Yazdy Palia

Jun 28, 2009, 3:20:25 AM6/28/09
to Dinesh Valke, Indian Tree Pix
I would not know the name of the mangrove, however, you are right the
green leaves are turning yellow just before it falls. Soon you should
see new tender leaves on them.
Regards
Yazdy.

Dinesh Valke

Jun 28, 2009, 4:52:28 AM6/28/09
to DHIREN PANIA, Indian Tree Pix
Thank you very very much, Dhiren ji and Yazdi ji.
Regards.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 2:20 PM, DHIREN PANIA <123.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Dinesh

Its Aegiceras corniculatum, grow wild. its milk weed is poisonous .If it fell in one's eye u get permanent blindness.

Very common around Vasai, china creek, Bhayander  west & kokan area.
Regards
dhiren pania

sibdas

Jun 28, 2009, 2:37:52 PM6/28/09
to indiantreepix
Difficult to identify the plant from the photos, but look like a
Bruguirera sp.
>  P1000837.jpg
> 174KViewDownload
>
>  P1000830.jpg
> 202KViewDownload

satish pardeshi

Jun 29, 2009, 7:45:35 AM6/29/09
to indiantreepix
Hello Dineshji
it is Excoecaria agallocha L. family Euphorbiaceae. commonly known
as blinding tree.
a mangrove common at Gorai and Vashi.

regards
Satish Pardeshi

Dinesh Valke

Jun 29, 2009, 8:34:36 AM6/29/09
to satish pardeshi, DHIREN PANIA, indiantreepix
Many thanks Satish ji and Dhiren ji for the IDs.
I am convinced, my plant is Excoecaria agallocha ... Dhiren ji, requesting you to comment, if think otherwise.

Regards.