Caryota urens - Bherli Mad

Ulhas

Feb 25, 2011, 4:58:54 AM2/25/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Caryota urens or Fishtail Palm is known as Bherli Mad or Dongri Mad in Maharashtra.

Can anyone inform me about the origin / meaning of the name 'Bherli Mad'?

Thanks and best wishes

Ulhas

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Feb 25, 2011, 5:55:17 AM2/25/11
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Ulhas
I can only say that fishtail palm sap juice is like toddy which is taken by the tribals for intoxication. MAD is the starch of rice. The juice of fish tail palm is also milky white. In Bastar it is called sulfi, and the tribal who has this tree is considered  rich and lucky.
ak
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

J.M. Garg

Jun 13, 2011, 1:26:53 AM6/13/11
to efloraofindia, Ulhas, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Dinesh Valke, Neil Soares, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Swagat, Prashant awale

Forwarding again for any assistance in the matter please.

Some earlier relevant feedback:

“I can only say that fishtail palm sap juice is like toddy which is taken by the tribals for intoxication. MAD is the starch of rice. The juice of fish tail palm is also milky white. In Bastar it is called sulfi, and the tribal who has this tree is considered  rich and lucky.
ak”

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group: http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix (more than 1600 members & 70,000 messages on 30/5/11) or Efloraofindia website: https://sites.google.com/site/efloraofindia/ (with a species database of around 5000 species)

Dinesh Valke

Jun 13, 2011, 2:40:32 AM6/13/11
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Ulhas, Anand Kumar Bhatt, Neil Soares, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Swagat, Prashant awale
... भेरली माड bherali mad (variants: भेरला माड, भेरली भाड, भेरळ, भेरळी माड) ... more commonly known as सुरमाड surmad

सुर sur is generic name for liquor OR wine, and thus would भेरळ OR भेरल bheral mean some kind of liquor ... requesting Marathi-knowing friend to validate.
माड mad is generic name for palm in Konkan (used in both Marathi and Konkani)

Regards.
Dinesh