Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq. OR ? :: Waghbil, Thane, Maharashtra :: Dec 7, 2010 · 4:08 PM IST

Skip to the first unread message

Dinesh Valke

27 May 2023, 05:21:1427/05/2023
to efloraofindia
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq. ... OR ... is it rather Triumfetta pentandra A.Rich. ?
Waghbil, Thane, Maharashtra :: Dec 7, 2010 · 4:08 PM IST :: about 3 m (10 ft) asl

Dear friends, this is quite an old observation which I have labelled it as Triumfetta rhomboidea, based on count of stamens (as much as 10). Now when I am paying attention to the shape of fruits, they look ovoid than globular. Thus, I believe this plant is rather Triumfetta pentandra A.Rich. ... please help check.
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq.
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq.
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq.
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq.
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq.
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq.
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq.
Triumfetta rhomboidea Jacq.
Regards.
Dinesh

J.M. Garg

2 Jun 2023, 07:51:5202/06/2023
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This is Triumfetta rhomboidea only. Pl. see

With regards,
J.M.Garg

Dinesh Valke

2 Jun 2023, 08:24:4002/06/2023
to eFloraofIndia
Thanks, Garg ji.

My thoughts:
Number of stamens in T. pentandra is not always 5 ... It could be more, is what I have been seeing.
The mentioned  efi thread does not compare shape and size of fruits.
In case of T. pentandra, the fruits are ovoid, and in case of T. rhomboidea - globular.
The posted plant has ovoid fruits.

I will keep the posted plant's observation labelled as T. rhomboidea.

Regards.
Dinesh

radha veach

2 Jun 2023, 22:34:1902/06/2023
to eFloraofIndia
In Flora of Karnataka it is mentioned under Triumfetta pentandra that the fruits are globose to ovoid with bristles hairy on one side. Buds are constricted in the middle.
Under Triumfetta rhomboidea the bristles are glabrous except at the base. In Flora of North America the fruits of T. rhomboidea are said to be globose to ovoid-globose.
It seems we need very clear close up images to see these details, as well as seeing the overall habit of the plant.

I hope this helps.
Regards
Radha

Dinesh Valke

2 Jun 2023, 23:51:1302/06/2023
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much, Radha, for the description of fruits of both species. Next time I hope to get a close up of the fruit bristles.
This posted plant, I would go with my initial thoughts; many thanks to Garg ji for the same ID.
Regards.
Dinesh

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "eFloraofIndia" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/indiantreepix/df978474-4cef-4347-bf8a-f8560f375c8dn%40googlegroups.com.