For ID please: Tree Spinach?

1 view

Devi Nair

Feb 17, 2010, 7:51:51 AM2/17/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
This photo is of an edible plant which I took in Wayanad. It's locally known as "cabbage leaf".
I saw a similar picture here where it's called Chenopodium Giganteum.
Any local names known?

Regards,
Devi

--
Earth is here so kind, that just tickle her with a hoe and she laughs with a harvest.
-- Douglas Jerrold.

cabbageleafj.JPG

Gurcharan Singh

Feb 17, 2010, 9:12:37 AM2/17/10
to Devi Nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
Devi ji
These leaves are characteristic of genus Brassica and not Chenopodium. The leaves of Chenopodium giganteum characteristically have rounded petioles and powdery bloom on the surface of leaves. Here petioles are flattened  and leaves though glacous without a powdery bloom. The plant seems to be Brassica oleracea var. viridis L. (syn: B. acephala DC.), commonly known as Kale, collards or tree kale.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Associate Professor

Devi Nair

Feb 18, 2010, 7:44:42 AM2/18/10
to Gurcharan Singh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Gurucharan'ji. Where can I get some more details on this plant? I have been searching on the web too.