For Id 141108JM2

J.M. Garg

Nov 13, 2008, 10:03:13 PM11/13/08
to indiantreepix
In Narshapur forest, AP on 18/10/08, 80 Km. from Hyderabad.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Unided in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0923.jpg
Unided in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0924.jpg

Aparna Watve

Nov 14, 2008, 12:04:30 AM11/14/08
to J.M. Garg, indiantreepix
Appears to be Rhynchospora (Cyperaceae). In Cyperaceae it is
impossible to go to species level correctly without specimen. So no
attempt to identify to that level.
regards
Aparna

PS: It is obviously in open land. SO why is the locality called
Narshapur FOREST? We should try using a proper vegetation
classification - otherwise this will lead to confusion
--
Dr. Aparna Watve
34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd,

J.M. Garg

Nov 14, 2008, 3:44:44 AM11/14/08
to Aparna Watve, indiantreepix
Thanks, Aparna ji,
Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhynchospora

Rhynchospora (Beak-sedge or Star-sedge) is a genus of about 400 species of sedges with a cosmopolitan distribution. The most distinctive feature of the genus is the one to ten or more long bracts at the base of the inflorescence, resembling a bird's beak (if one) or a star, whence the common names. The bracts are typically 3-5 cm long, but in R. nervosa, they can reach 22 cm long.

JM Garg

Nov 19, 2016, 11:17:03 PM11/19/16
to efloraofindia
Unided in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0923.jpg
Unided in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0924.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 19, 2016, 11:18:15 PM11/19/16
to efloraofindia

With regards,
J.M.Garg

For identification, learning, discussion & documentation of Indian Flora, please visit/ join our Efloraofindia Google e-group (largest in the world- around 2700 members & 2,40,000 messages on 31.3.16) or Efloraofindia website (with a species database of more than 11,000 species & 2,20,000 images).

Unided in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0923.jpg
Unided in Narshapur forest, AP I IMG_0924.jpg

J.M. Garg

Nov 21, 2016, 2:10:23 AM11/21/16
to efloraofindia
Thanks a lot, Prasad ji.