Id Plz

Smita Raskar

May 25, 2009, 10:41:27 AM5/25/09
to indiantreepix
Hello
Its evergeen perenial plant
i wish to know its scientific name
thanx
DSCN0143.JPG
DSCN0144.JPG

sanal nair

May 25, 2009, 10:45:47 AM5/25/09
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Hi Smita,
It is the Singapore Cherry (Mungtingia calabura),

Sanal Nair

Devendra Bhardwaj

May 25, 2009, 11:19:11 AM5/25/09
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Mutangia calabura

May 25, 2009, 11:45:16 AM5/25/09
to Devendra Bhardwaj, Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
(Muntingia) calabura

-bs

Anita Dake

Jun 5, 2009, 7:09:52 AM6/5/09
to Barry Stock, Devendra Bhardwaj, Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Dear All,
A friend of mine recently has advised me not to plant Singapore Cherry.
According to his opinion it is very invasive and does not let other species grow.
That hampers the biodiversity.
Is it true?
Advice please.
Anita

Smita Raskar

Jun 5, 2009, 8:58:37 AM6/5/09
to indiantreepix
hello eveybody
i hv found this herbaceous plant growing near compound wall
DSCN0479.JPG

Anand Kumar Bhatt

Jun 5, 2009, 9:42:05 AM6/5/09
to Anita Dake, Barry Stock, Devendra Bhardwaj, Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Yes it is an invasive plant. But it is a darling of the birds as the cherry is edible even for humans. it is sweet and addictive (not in the medical sense). One tree hardly makes a difference. Nobody says anything against ficus bengalensis and religiosa in spite of their being invasive. (Have I committed a blasphemy?)
The scientific name is Mutingia calabura.
akbhatt
--
Anand Kumar Bhatt
A-59, B.S.F.Colony, Airport Road

Barry Stock

Jun 5, 2009, 9:43:43 AM6/5/09
to Anita Dake, Devendra Bhardwaj, Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
Anita,

It tends to reseed due to animal predation, but it is not on our invasive list here in South Florida. However, it is marginal in that capacity, and certainly has potential for problems. I'd say, don't plant it in a swampy area. In a drier area it is much less likely to cause problems. Personally, I love the fruit, they are unique, and have considered growing one myself.

-bs

Dinesh Valke

Jun 5, 2009, 9:53:21 AM6/5/09
to Smita Raskar, indiantreepix
... most possibly Glinus oppositifolius (syn.: Mollugo oppositifolia, Mollugo spergula), commonly known as bitter leaf ... native to tropical region of Africa and Asia, N Australia.
Earlier discussed in our group at http://groups.google.co.in/group/indiantreepix/browse_thread/thread/dc65701ba7aeafa7/534f112f916dbe88?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=Glinus#534f112f916dbe88

Regards