Flower for ID240710MN

mani nair

Jul 24, 2010, 1:27:06 AM7/24/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends,
Sending a photo of the flower.
Kindly identify the flower.
Regards,
Mani.

Date/Time :

Feb. 2009

Location- Place, altitude and GPS:

Ranibaug, Byculla

Habitat- garden/ urban/wild/type:

Urban

Plant Habit-tree/shrub/climber/herb:

Herb

Height/length:

1 ft.

Leaves-type/shape/size

Inflorescence type /size:

Flowers-size/colour/calyx/bracts:

Pink

Fruits type-shape/size/seeds:

NIL

Fragrance/odour/pollinator/uses  and so on:

NIL

eupho.jpg

Dinesh Valke

Jul 24, 2010, 1:30:08 AM7/24/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
... the crown of thorns, native of Madagascar ... some garden cultivar of Euphorbia millii,
Regards.

mani nair

Jul 24, 2010, 1:35:07 AM7/24/10
to Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Dinesh ji,   I thought this plant is from the cactus family and did not buy the plant as there is a superstition that cactus should not be kept at home as there are chances of ill luck falling on us !!!.

Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jul 24, 2010, 2:05:14 AM7/24/10
to mani nair, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Euphorbia millii indeed!!
I have couple of cactus at my home but I don't think I have any ill luck
I am quite a lucky chap !!

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

mani nair

Jul 24, 2010, 2:09:04 AM7/24/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Yes Dinesh ji,  upto some years back I used to believe in these superstitions.  Now I am not.  I will buy this plant if found in any nursery.

Thanks
Mani.

mani nair

Jul 24, 2010, 2:10:50 AM7/24/10
to tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanay ji,  by mistake I put Dinesh ji name.

Gurcharan Singh

Jul 24, 2010, 2:55:55 AM7/24/10
to mani nair, tanay bose, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mani ji
Don't worry. You will find it in every good nursery, or get a twig from your neighbour. It multiplies fast.

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

nabha meghani

Jul 24, 2010, 5:27:40 AM7/24/10
to Dinesh Valke, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
ear Mani ji,
local names are Christ Plant or christusdorn(german) because of the thorny twigs. I had this plant long ago, I don't think it brought me any ill luck, (I don't believe in these things anyway). I got rid of it long back because of the thorns. In fact at Chrismastime these plants are sold in many nurseries.
Regards
Nalini

mani nair

Jul 24, 2010, 5:49:19 AM7/24/10
to nabha meghani, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Singh ji and Nalini ji.

Regards,

Mani.

tanaybose15

Jul 24, 2010, 8:18:02 AM7/24/10
to mani nair, nabha meghani, Dinesh Valke, indian...@googlegroups.com
Really good to know that you have already overcome the superstition in your mind !!

Tanay

MAX OVERTON

Jul 24, 2010, 9:57:10 AM7/24/10
to Indian tree pics
Greetings all!

Sorry, this is off-topic but I have just recorded a movie from the TV called 'The Rising: Ballad of Mangal Panday' on the subject of the First War of Independence in 1857, and I wondered how accurate it was. Has anyone seen it? Can you tell me if it is historically accurate? Is it a good movie?

Sorry to go off-topic like this and if I have stepped out of line, please ignore my request and tell me to stop it.

Cheers,
Max

Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overton http://www.maxoverton.com

The Lion of Scythia Trilogy (Lion of Scythia, The Golden King, Funeral in Babylon);
The Glass House Trilogy (Glass House, A Glass Darkly, Looking Glass);
A Cry of Shadows,
The Devil is in the Details,
Trapdoor,
Tapestry,
Portal,
A Gift for Roo,
Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings),
Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book 2 of the Amarnan Kings),
Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings),
Scarab - Ay (Book 4 of the Amarnan Kings),
Rakshasa (Book 1 of the Demon series),
Djinn (Book 2 of the Demon series),
Glass Continuum,
Ascension,
Sequestered,
Works in Progress: Scarab - Horemheb (Book 5 of the Amarnan Kings), Succubus (Book 3 of the Demon series)

Also check out http://julesphotographiccreations.blogspot.com/

This message was created using recycled letters from deleted emails

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:57:06 +0530
Subject: [efloraofindia:42241] Flower for ID240710MN
From: mani....@gmail.com
To: indian...@googlegroups.com

nabha meghani

Jul 24, 2010, 2:18:30 PM7/24/10
to mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
I wonder, if this superstition is introduced by some Mother-in-Law, after she was offered Echinocactus grusonii as a Cushion to sit on. Just a thought.

tanay bose

Jul 24, 2010, 2:26:32 PM7/24/10
to nabha meghani, mani nair, indian...@googlegroups.com
A good joke !!
Tanay

mani nair

Jul 24, 2010, 11:02:39 PM7/24/10
to tanay bose, nabha meghani, indian...@googlegroups.com
There is a plant named mother-in-laws-tongue.  Likewise  this plant should be named Mother-in-laws-cushion. lol !!

Mani.

nabha meghani

Jul 25, 2010, 8:44:15 AM7/25/10
to R. Vijayasankar, indian...@googlegroups.com
Mani ji, Vijayasankar ji
mother-in-laws-tongue improves indoor air quality by removing toxins such as nitrogen oxide and formaldehyde and is kept in many houses because it is also undemanding.
I think many daughter-in-laws would accept mother-in-laws-tongue. Just use earplugs.
BTW. my mother-in-law was good to me and my hubbys mother-in-law was good to him too!
Nalini