Terminalia bellirica

Pravin Kawale

Apr 13, 2009, 2:00:48 AM4/13/09
to indiantreepix
Hi
Flowers of Terminalia bellirica
Marathi name Behada
one fo the content of Triphala Churna
Photographed at Kanakeshwar,Alibag
on 11 Apr.2009
Thanks.

DSC02746.JPG
DSC02748.JPG

DSC02746.JPG
DSC02748.JPG

J.M. Garg

Apr 13, 2009, 4:03:05 AM4/13/09
to Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
Lovely capture, Pravin ji.
More details from Indiantreepix Database:
Terminalia bellerica  Combretaceae Baheda, Myrobalan, Beleric, Thare, Bibhitaki, Karshaphala, Aksha, Kalidrima KR Nagar near Banglore- 7/3/08; Paradgaon, Nagpur- March'09?; Trees of Delhi- flowers along with the new leaves towards end April. Google Image Result for http://www.jcu.edu.au/discovernature/idc/groups/public/documents/presentation/jcudev_006012~2.3.jpg Thare tree sporting young leaves - indiantreepix | Google Groups Tree for id--100608 vkg1 - indiantreepix | Google Groups Bibhitaki: The herb which works in diseases of every system - indiantreepix | Google Groups ID Please-2 - indiantreepix | Google Groups

satish phadke

Apr 13, 2009, 12:05:29 PM4/13/09
to J.M. Garg, Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
Great capture. Nice crisp flowers !
Just a question.
How to differentiate between Arjun and Beheda tree as the flowers of both are quite similar?
Satish

2009/4/13 J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com>

--

http:// satishphadke.blogspot.com

Dinesh Valke

Apr 13, 2009, 12:22:17 PM4/13/09
to satish phadke, J.M. Garg, Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
... my thinking: the beheda flowers droop in huge clusters; while Arjuna stay erect, that is below and above leaves respectively.
Also, while beheda is in bloom, the leaves are often red, almost crimson red to maroon ... warm coloured ... and Arjuna has green (I am not sure about how green !!).
Please correct me.

And there must be differences in leaves and bark.
I am not otherwise familair with Arjuna tree, I wonder whether I will mistake it for T. elliptica.

Regards.

satish phadke

Apr 13, 2009, 12:31:59 PM4/13/09
to Dinesh Valke, J.M. Garg, Pravin Kawale, indiantreepix
Thanks for your observations and opinion which is indeed helpful to everybody.
The Beheda trees whatever I have seen were very big and had Buttress roots making its stem quite wide which is supposed to be common for it.
The fruit is also not similar to Arjuna but flowers are very much similar.
I am much more familiar with T. arjuna
The characteristic features are the bark which is faint coloured and often variegated somewhat similar to Guava tree.
And of course if there are seeds of earlier season on the tree(Which is common) they are typical Combrataceae with wings.