a drosera

sibdas ghosh

Dec 2, 2008, 12:12:32 PM12/2/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is photo of Drosera (Sundew) grown in a pot
DSCF0021_edited.JPG

Yazdy Palia

Dec 2, 2008, 12:14:57 PM12/2/08
to sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Interesting. Drosera is used in Homeopathy as a medicine.
Regards
Yazdy.

J.M. Garg

Dec 2, 2008, 9:29:50 PM12/2/08
to Yazdy Palia, sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Which species is this one?

J.M. Garg

Dec 3, 2008, 12:38:11 AM12/3/08
to Yazdy Palia, sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Here is a reply from Maitreyee ji:
"Hi,
    Though I know very little about plants, I think it is not Sundew but Venus' comb. Please correct me if I am wrong. I used to see Sundew quite often in the dry laterite river beds near Shantiniketan, West Bengal. They had red flower like look with a long erect stem like growth at the centre.
                       Regards,
                              Maitreyee   "

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 7:59 AM, J.M. Garg <jmg...@gmail.com> wrote:
Which species is this one?

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 10:42 PM, sibdas ghosh <sibda...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Here is photo of Drosera (Sundew) grown in  a pot

With regards,
J.M.Garg
"We often ignore the beauty around us"

Aparna Watve

Dec 3, 2008, 1:02:44 AM12/3/08
to sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
This is not sundew but Venus fly trap- Dionaea -different genus
altogether but same family Droseraceae.
This isn't Indian plant. It may have been brought abroad and grown
here in pot. It is commonly available as garden plant in Malesia etc
Aparna

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd,

J.M. Garg

Dec 3, 2008, 2:59:07 AM12/3/08
to Aparna Watve, sibdas ghosh, indian...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Aparna ji.

Here are some extracts from Wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venus_Flytrap

The Venus Flytrap, Dionaea muscipula, is a carnivorous plant that catches and digests animal prey—mostly insects and arachnids. Its trapping structure is formed by a portion of each of the plant's leaves and is triggered by tiny hairs on their inner surfaces. When an insect or spider crawling along the leaves comes into contact with one or more of the hairs twice in succession, the trap closes. The requirement of redundant triggering in this mechanism serves as a safeguard against the spurious expending of energy toward trapping other, non-living things which may not reward the plant with similar nutrition.

The plant's common name refers to Venus, the Roman goddess of love, whereas the genus name refers to Dione.[citation needed] Dionaea is a monotypic genus closely related to the waterwheel plant and sundews.

The Venus Flytrap is a small herb, forming a rosette of four to seven leaves, which arise from a short subterranean stem that is actually a bulb-like rhizome. Each leaf reaches a maximum size of about three to ten centimeters, depending on the time of year;[2] longer leaves with robust traps are usually formed after flowering. Flytraps that have more than 7 leaves are colonies formed by rosettes that have divided beneath the ground.

JAMES OVERTON

Dec 3, 2008, 12:51:38 AM12/3/08
to indian...@googlegroups.com
The sundew is Drosera and is covered in sticky hairs. The Venus fly trap is Dionaea and has the spring trap 'jaws'.

Max

Novels by Max and/or Ariana Overton http://www.maxoverton.com

The Lion of Scythia Trilogy - EPPIE winners 2005 and 2006
The Glass House Trilogy (Eppie finalists), A Cry of Shadows, The Devil is in the Details,  Trapdoor, Tapestry
Scarab - Akhenaten (Book 1 of the Amarnan Kings), Scarab - Smenkhkare (Book 2 of the Amarnan Kings),
Scarab - Tutankhamen (Book 3 of the Amarnan Kings), Rakshasa, Glass Continuum, Ascension
Works in Progress: Scarab - Ay, and Scarab - Horemheb (Books 4 & 5 of the Amarnan Kings), Djinn

Also check out http://julesphotographiccreations.blogspot.com/

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:08:11 +0530
From: jmg...@gmail.com
To: yazdy...@gmail.com
Subject: [indiantreepix:6299] Re: a drosera
CC: sibda...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

JAMES OVERTON

Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:08:11 +0530
From: jmg...@gmail.com
To: yazdy...@gmail.com
CC: sibda...@gmail.com; indian...@googlegroups.com

Mahendra Prasad

Dec 4, 2008, 2:55:36 AM12/4/08
to sibdas ghosh, Aparna Watve, indian...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Maitreyee, James & Aparna's  ID as Venus Fly Trap. On comparing  Dinesh Valke's original pix with those of Drosera & Dionaea in Wikipedia, it becomes quite clear. The Venus uses a cage like trap, that springs shut when an insect is sensed inside it, whereas the Sundew has sticky substance on which an insect gets imbedded. The Venus has a green, round, cage-like structure as in Dinesh's pix. The Sundew's sticky portion is quite different, usually bright red in colour and with attractive, wet, dew-like adhesive droplets.

wrote:
>  Here is photo of Drosera (Sundew) grown in  a pot

--
Dr. Aparna Watve
34/6, Gulawani Maharaj Rd,
Pune 411 004.
India

Get an email ID as your...@ymail.com or your...@rocketmail.com. Click here.

figtree

Dec 4, 2008, 4:18:53 AM12/4/08
to indiantreepix
Thank you all. It was a mistake on my part. It is Venus Flytrap-
Dionaea muscipula.

On Dec 4, 12:55 pm, Mahendra Prasad <mahendraprasad_...@yahoo.co.in>
wrote:
> I agree with Maitreyee, James & Aparna's  ID as Venus Fly Trap. On comparing  Dinesh Valke's original pix with those of Drosera & Dionaea in Wikipedia, it becomes quite clear. The Venus uses a cage like trap, that springs shut when an insect is sensed inside it, whereas the Sundew has sticky substance on which an insect gets imbedded. The Venus has a green, round, cage-like structure as in Dinesh's pix. The Sundew's sticky portion is quite different, usually bright red in colour and with attractive, wet, dew-like adhesive droplets.

Sam

Dec 7, 2008, 5:35:33 AM12/7/08
to indiantreepix
Here is a picture of drosera.