Herb ID request - RK35 - 27-Oct-2012

Rashmi Khiani

Oct 27, 2012, 7:33:16 AM10/27/12
to Efloraindia
Hello all,

Request id of this herb from Vasai region. The leaves caught my attention with two thread-like things projecting like antennae from the base of the leaf. Also I would like to know that if the round things in the last photo are fruits then what is the slim and straight magenta colour thing in the 8th photo?

--
Kind regards, Rashmi
rk_for-id_035_1.jpg

Neil Soares

Oct 27, 2012, 9:27:51 AM10/27/12
to Efloraindia, Rashmi Khiani
Hi,
 This is Chorchorus capsularis. My photographs of this are available at this link :

Please also check this link for some of the answers to your questions :

                              With regards,
                                Neil Soares.
--- On Sat, 10/27/12, Rashmi Khiani <rashmi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rashmi Khiani

Oct 28, 2012, 9:20:45 AM10/28/12
to Neil Soares, Efloraindia
Thanks a million Neil ji for the id as well as the superb links
reading which I understand that the straight fruit in the 8th photo is
from a different species i.e. Corchorus olitorius while the round
fruits in the last photo are of Corchorus capsularis. Hope I
understood correctly. An entire stretch was full of these plants and
it looks like there was more than one species growing there.
--
Kind regards, Rashmi

Neil Soares

Oct 28, 2012, 12:40:50 PM10/28/12
to Rashmi Khiani, Efloraindia
Hi,
 My apologies. Yesterday was rushing off to my consulting rooms and didn't have time to read your entire mail or view all your photographs.
 Affirmative. 'The slim and straight magenta colour thing in the 8th photo' is the fruit of Corchorus olitorius [locally called Banpat / Chichuria].
 Am sending my photographs of it fruiting in a separate mail.
                         With regards,
                           Neil Soares.

Rashmi Khiani

Oct 28, 2012, 3:11:02 PM10/28/12
to Neil Soares, Efloraindia
Thanks a million Neil ji. I had clicked a picture of the apex of the
'slim & straight' fruit - what I now know as Corchorus olitorius ...
and the apex of this fruit has a star-shaped tip. Sorry this photo is
a bit out of focus so I didn't send it earlier.
rk_for-id_035_x.jpg