Valvet Apple

DHIREN PANIA

Jul 15, 2010, 2:40:15 PM7/15/10
to efloraofindia
Friends,
Are this fruit called Valvet Apple.
I do not know scientific name And what is the use. is it edible.

Can some  one tell me.
regards
dhiren pania
Valvet Apple-01.jpg
Valvet Apple-02.jpg

Ritesh Choudhary

Jul 15, 2010, 8:07:08 PM7/15/10
to efloraofindia
Is it Prunus?

Ritesh.
>  Valvet Apple-01.jpg
> 65KViewDownload
>
>  Valvet Apple-02.jpg
> 547KViewDownload

tanay bose

Jul 15, 2010, 11:25:05 PM7/15/10
to Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
I think this is Diospyros blancoi A.DC. [Synonym: Diospyros discolor] which is commonly known as "Velvet Apple" from the family Ebenaceae. The fruits of this plants are indeed edible .

Tanay
--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

mani nair

Jul 16, 2010, 12:30:11 AM7/16/10
to tanay bose, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
First time seeing this fruit.  Where the tree is growing?
Regards,

Mani.

tanay bose

Jul 16, 2010, 12:37:48 AM7/16/10
to mani nair, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Dear Mani ji as far as I know this plant is native to Philippines, in India hopefully is an horticultural plant.
Tanay

mani nair

Jul 16, 2010, 1:27:51 AM7/16/10
to tanay bose, Ritesh Choudhary, efloraofindia
Thanks Tanay ji for the info.

Regards,

Mani.

Padmini Raghavan

Jul 17, 2010, 12:58:27 PM7/17/10
to DHIREN PANIA, efloraofindia
Adding my pics of Velevt Apple.
It was not ripe so felt tasteless.
 A tall tree growing in the Agri-hort garden at Chennai

Padmini Raghavan.
Velevt apple 001.jpg
Velevt apple 005.jpg
Velevt apple 007.jpg

tanay bose

Jul 17, 2010, 2:45:13 PM7/17/10
to Padmini Raghavan, DHIREN PANIA, efloraofindia
You are right Padmini ji the fruits are velvety red when fully ripe.
The fruit in your photos are yellowish in colour hence we can consider that
it is still to reach the physiology.
Regards
Tanay