Ipomoea diversifolia-310110-PKA1

Prashant awale

Jan 31, 2010, 9:42:37 AM1/31/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,
Earlier, i had spotted the similar Ipomoea at the Kas lake during October-2009. Shrikant Ingalhalkar ji had identified it as Ipomoea diversifolia.

Thanks & best wishes
Prashant

IMG_5012.jpg
IMG_5014.jpg
IMG_5013.jpg

Tabish

Jan 31, 2010, 1:31:00 PM1/31/10
to efloraofindia
Ipomoea diversifolia Lindl. is a synonym of Ipomoea purpurea,
according to GRIN:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?311651
Ipomoea purpurea has entire leaves. So, this curious species may be
something else. I do not know if there exists any other Ipomoea
diversifolia.
Leaves look like Merremia dissecta, but the flowers don't.
- Tabish

>  IMG_5012.jpg
> 178KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5014.jpg
> 188KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5013.jpg
> 185KViewDownload

shrikant ingalhalikar

Jan 31, 2010, 8:43:28 PM1/31/10
to efloraofindia
The nomenclature may not be upto date but Ipomoea diversifolia R. Br.
is a synonym of I. lacinata C.B.Cl. Regards, Shrikant Ingalhalikar

Tabish

Feb 1, 2010, 6:04:08 AM2/1/10
to efloraofindia
Thanks Shrikant ji,
will try to get the current name.
Best wishes
- Tabish

J.M. Garg

Mar 3, 2010, 4:26:30 AM3/3/10
to efloraofindia, Tabish, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale

Earlier relevant feedback:

“Ipomoea diversifolia Lindl. is a synonym of  Ipomoea purpurea,

according to GRIN:
  http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?311651
Ipomoea purpurea has entire leaves. So, this curious species may be
something else. I do not know if there exists any other Ipomoea
diversifolia.
Leaves look like Merremia dissecta, but the flowers don't.

  - Tabish”

“The nomenclature may not be upto date but Ipomoea diversifolia R. Br.
is a synonym of I. lacinata C.B.Cl.
Regards, Shrikant Ingalhalikar”

“Thanks Shrikant ji,

  will try to get the current name.
  Best wishes

  - Tabish”

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

IMG_5012.jpg
IMG_5014.jpg
IMG_5013.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 3, 2010, 11:08:47 AM3/3/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Tabish, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale

Dear “ALL”,

Scientific name:  Ipomoea imperati (Vahl) Griseb.

Synonym name:  Ipomoea stolonifera (Cyr.) J.F.Gmelin

Common name:  Beach morning glory

Family:  Convolvulaceae,

See the stolon nature of the plant is visible in the second photo (IMG_5014.jpg). I have seen this plant in Kolkata too in the Salt lake region.

Regards,

Tanay

Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Tabish

Mar 3, 2010, 11:36:58 AM3/3/10
to efloraofindia
Dear Tanay,
Prashant's flower has a long and narrow flower-tube. Ipomoea
imperati has a tube which is broad and short compared to this, see
this picture for example
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPIM&photoID=ipim_005_ahp.tif
There is no way this can be Ipomoea imperati.
-Tabish

On Mar 3, 9:08 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear “ALL”,
>

> Scientific name:  *Ipomoea imperati (Vahl) Griseb.*
>
> Synonym name:  *Ipomoea stolonifera* *(Cyr.) J.F.Gmelin*

> Common name:  Beach morning glory
>
> Family:  Convolvulaceae,
>
> See the stolon nature of the plant is visible in the second photo
> (IMG_5014.jpg). I have seen this plant in Kolkata too in the Salt lake
> region.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tanay
>

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 2:56 PM, J.M. Garg <jmga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Forwarding again for Id confirmation or otherwise pl.
>
> > Earlier relevant feedback:
>
> > “Ipomoea diversifolia Lindl. is a synonym of  Ipomoea purpurea,
> > according to GRIN:
> >  http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?311651
> > Ipomoea purpurea has entire leaves. So, this curious species may be
> > something else. I do not know if there exists any other Ipomoea
> > diversifolia.
> > Leaves look like Merremia dissecta, but the flowers don't.
> >   - Tabish”
>

> > “The nomenclature may not be upto date but *Ipomoea diversifolia R. Br.
> > is a synonym of I. lacinata C.B.Cl <http://c.b.cl/>.* Regards, Shrikant
> > Ingalhalikar”
>
> > “Thanks Shrikant ji,
> >   *will try to get the current name.
> > *  Best wishes

> >   - Tabish”

tanay bose

Mar 3, 2010, 12:09:18 PM3/3/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia

Dear Tabish ji,
How will you respond to Ipomoea alba ? thanks for correcting me...i will wait for your kind response.

Regards,
Tanay

Prashant awale

Mar 3, 2010, 12:28:05 PM3/3/10
to tanay bose, Tabish, efloraofindia
Dear Tanay ji,
In case of Ipomoea alba, leaves are heart shaped where as leaves in this case are digitately lobed as in case of Ipomoea coptica. I think this is some other Ipomoea sp.
Thanks & best wishes
Prashant

tanay bose

Mar 3, 2010, 12:43:00 PM3/3/10
to Prashant awale, Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Prasant ji for correcting me . its Ipomoea sp but I think I will have to wait for experts to comment!!!

Regards
Tanay

Tabish

Mar 4, 2010, 3:24:10 AM3/4/10
to efloraofindia
Prashant has finally sorted this out. The plant seen here pictures
agrees quite well with the description of Ipomoea laciniata:
------------------
Stem slender, creeping or twining, angled & twisted, glabrous.
Leaves 1-2 in. in dia, subdigitate, 5-7 partite; segments elliptic or
linear, serrate or pinnatifid, the teeth unequal, mucronate; petioles
1/2 - 1 inch long with stipule like axxilary leaves.
Flowers: 1 - 3 (usually one) on axillary peduncles; peduncles
solitary, variable in length, 0.5 - 1.5 inch long, bracts 1/3 in.
long, linear-lanceolate, acute. Sepals 1/4 to 1/3 in. long, subequal,
elliptic, mucronate, fleshy, ribbed and wrinkled on the back,
glabrous.
Corolla White; tube narrow, cylindric, reaching 2 inch long by 1/8
inch in dia; limb flat, spreading, 1 to 1.5 in. in dia.. Anthers
scareely exserted.....
-------------------
Shrikant ji had suggested I. diversifolia which, he said, could be a
synonym of I. laciniata. Although I could not find the mention of the
name I. diversifolia, Ipomoea laciniata seems to be the right id.
Thanks to Prashant and Shrikant ji.
- Tabish

On Mar 3, 10:43 pm, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Prasant ji for correcting me . its Ipomoea sp but I think I will have
> to wait for experts to comment!!!
>
> Regards
> Tanay
>

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear Tanay ji,
> > In case of Ipomoea alba, leaves are heart shaped where as leaves in this
> > case are digitately lobed as in case of Ipomoea coptica. I think this is
> > some other Ipomoea sp.
> > Thanks & best wishes
> > Prashant
>

> >   On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 10:39 PM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> Dear Tabish ji,

> >> How will you respond to *Ipomoea alba ? *thanks for correcting me...i

> >> will wait for your kind response.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Tanay

Prashant awale

Mar 4, 2010, 3:29:15 AM3/4/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Thanks Tabish.
regards
Prashant

Prashant awale

Mar 4, 2010, 5:22:31 AM3/4/10
to Tabish, efloraofindia
Dear friends,

Shrikant ji has mentioned that  "BSI flora supercedes I. laciniata C.B.Cl with I. diversifolia"
Here is his response for  "Ipomoea laciniata, C.B. Clarke, in Hook...

"Good, we both are referring to the same plant. If there are no changes further to BSI flora, we should call this I. diversifolia R. Br. Rgds, Shrikant".

Thanks Shrikant ji and Tabish ji.

regards
Prashant