Laurus nobilis male plant from Srinagar

taffa...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2023, 7:35:40 AM10/21/23
to eFloraofIndia
Dear members,
Am posting some photos taken in early April of a male L.Nobilis growing in my lawn.
Habitat: Cultivated. Introduced a few decades back but not very common,
Habit: Evergreen tree with very fragrant leaves. Said to grow up to a height of 20 meters. The leaves called Bay leaves are used in European cuisine just like the leaves of Tej Pat(of the same family) are used in Indian Cuisine.
An interesting feature of the inflorescence that I noticed is that the peripheral flowers open early but a central flower remains a bud or rarely opens at a very late stage( See Photos).
The anthers have characteristic paired nectaries at base of the inner whorl of anthers(See photo). All photos under CCLicense(Atrribution only required)
Regards
Taffazull
INFLORSCLOSEUP.JPG
FLOWERCLOSEUP.JPG
INFLORESCENCE2.JPG
INFLORESCENCE.JPG
POLLENX675.JPG
PLANT.JPG

taffa...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2023, 10:20:01 AM10/21/23
to eFloraofIndia
Photo of Anther with nectaries
Regards
Taffazull

ANTHER AND NECTARIES.JPG

J.M. Garg

Oct 27, 2023, 1:34:24 AM10/27/23
to efloraofindia, TAFA
Thanks a lot, Taffazull ji, for the wonderful images.

With regards,
J.M.Garg
INFLORSCLOSEUP.JPG
FLOWERCLOSEUP.JPG