DV - 12 APR 10 - 0816 :: mistaking for Tamilnadia uliginosa

Dinesh Valke

Jul 20, 2010, 12:45:35 PM7/20/10
to efloraofindia
Dear friends,
The flower makes me think of Tamilnadia uliginosa, ... ID please.
Only hope it does not turn out to be after all, Catunaregam spinosa !!

Date/Time
: April 12, 2009 at 8.16am IST
Location Place : Burondi, Dapoli, Maharashtra
Altitude : 26 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : around 17°42'39.52"N, 73° 8'12.79"E

Habitat : rural area, outskirts of village, on banks of a nallah
Type : --

Plant
Habit
: large shrub, armed
Height : about 4 - 5 m
Length : - not a climber -

Leaves
Type
simple, not sure to describe more ... wondering if there is mix-up of plants
Shape : broad elliptic
Size : about 8 cm x 6 cm

Inflorescence
Type
: cluster at old nodes
Size : about 6 - 8 cm across

Flowers
Size
: about 2 cm
Colour : white, fades to yellow
Calyx : not sure
Bracts : - no bracts -

Fruits
Type
: do not know
Shape : do not know
Size : do not know
Seeds : do not know

Other Info
Fragrance : sweet
Pollinator : do not know
Uses : do not know

Regards.
3441848598_562754dded_b.jpg
3441010989_d8e1912b70_b.jpg
3441012683_96454893a0_b.jpg
3441031505_8d6c2ba5dc_b.jpg
3441037475_efa8dfb6ec_b.jpg
3441827558_9a8f039b74_b.jpg

Neil Soares

Jul 20, 2010, 1:01:06 PM7/20/10
to efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
Hi Dinesh,
  Nice photographs of Catunaregam spinosa !!!
                  Regards,
                   Neil.

Dinesh Valke

Jul 20, 2010, 1:28:38 PM7/20/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia
.... ah !!! many thanks Neil ji.
Many thanks to Prashant too for doubting it to be T. uliginosa .... had it labelled so, for over an year !!

Regards.

tanay bose

Jul 20, 2010, 1:28:41 PM7/20/10
to Neil Soares, efloraofindia, Dinesh Valke
This plant is Catunaregam spinosa indeed !! The plant where the flower colour changes the un-pollinated ones are white and the pollinated turns yellow in colour !!
Regards
Tanay

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Neil Soares <drneil...@yahoo.com> wrote:

--
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)

Dinesh Valke

Jul 20, 2010, 1:32:29 PM7/20/10
to tanay bose, Neil Soares, efloraofindia
... but white-to-yellow colour fading happens in few other (perhaps, all) Gardenia species; believing so.
Regards.

Dr. Arvind Kadus

Jul 20, 2010, 2:35:27 PM7/20/10
to efloraofindia
Dear All,
The photoes are pointing towards the Catunaregam spinosa. Tamilnadia's
flower size round about 2 to 2.5 inches in diametre while these flower
are smaller than that. You can see the photoes of Tamilnadia on my
prfile.
Thanx.
Regards.
Dr. Arvind Kadus.

On Jul 20, 10:32 pm, Dinesh Valke <dinesh.va...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... but white-to-yellow colour fading happens in few other (perhaps, all) *
> Gardenia* species; believing so.
> Regards.
>

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:58 PM, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > This plant is Catunaregam spinosa indeed !! The plant where the flower
> > colour changes the un-pollinated ones are white and the pollinated turns
> > yellow in colour !!
> > Regards
> > Tanay
>
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Neil Soares <drneilsoa...@yahoo.com>wrote:
>
> >> Hi Dinesh,
> >>   Nice photographs of Catunaregam spinosa !!!
> >>                   Regards,
> >>                    Neil.

tanay bose

Jul 20, 2010, 11:36:46 PM7/20/10
to Dr. Arvind Kadus, efloraofindia
Exactly said by Arvind Ji, All flowers of Gardenia doesn't change its color I am quite sure about it !!
Tanay

Pardeshi S.

Jul 21, 2010, 1:29:10 AM7/21/10
to efloraofindia
Hello all it is Catunaregam spinosa.

Regards
Satish Pardeshi

On Jul 21, 8:36 am, tanay bose <tanaybos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Exactly said by Arvind Ji, All flowers of *Gardenia* doesn't change its

Pravin Kawale

Jul 21, 2010, 1:36:34 AM7/21/10
to Pardeshi S., efloraofindia
Hi,
flower of Tamilnadia uliginosa
For ref.
Thanks

--
Pravin

Tamilnadia uliginosa.jpg

Aarti S. Khale

Jul 21, 2010, 3:40:05 PM7/21/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Dinesh Valke

Dear Dinesh ji,
These are probably the fruits of the same tree.
This picture was taken at Mahabaleshwar in April, 2009.
Aarti

The flower makes me think of *Tamilnadia uliginosa*, ... ID please.
Only hope it does not turn out to be after all, *Catunaregam
spinosa* !!

Date/Time : April 12, 2009 at 8.16am IST
Location Place : Burondi, Dapoli, Maharashtra
Altitude : 26 m (above mean sea level)
GPS : around 17°42'39.52"N, 73° 8'12.79"E

Habitat : rural area, outskirts of village, on banks of a *nallah*
3441848598_562754dded_b.jpg
30KViewDownload

3441010989_d8e1912b70_b.jpg
50KViewDownload

3441012683_96454893a0_b.jpg
41KViewDownload

3441031505_8d6c2ba5dc_b.jpg
81KViewDownload

3441037475_efa8dfb6ec_b.jpg
50KViewDownload

3441827558_9a8f039b74_b.jpg
49KViewDownload

P1070301-Mountain Pomegranate,Ghela.JPG

Neil Soares

Jul 21, 2010, 10:21:24 PM7/21/10
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Aarti S. Khale, Dinesh Valke
Affirmitive Ms.Khale. It is Ghela [Catunaregam spinosa].
                     With regards,
                       Neil Soares.