Requesting I'd assistance of unknown herb

Madhusudhan Khanal

Oct 9, 2022, 4:50:58 AM10/9/22
to efloraofindia
Respected experts, kindly help in the identification of an unknown herb with yellow flowers.
Elevation - 1300m
Location - Kalimpong, West Bengal.
Flowers not opening widely.
Flowers very perishable, opening for a very short time.
Leaves lanceolate with serrate margin.
Fruit- globose.
Kindly check the attached photograph.

Thanks and regards
Madhusudhan Khanal
IMG_20221009_110537.jpg
IMG_20221009_110545.jpg

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 9, 2022, 4:55:55 AM10/9/22
to indian...@googlegroups.com, Madhusudhan Khanal, J.M. Garg

Alectra avensis (Benth.) Merr.  Syn :

Melasma avense (Benth.) Hand.-Mazz.

Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

Madhusudhan Khanal

Oct 9, 2022, 5:08:29 AM10/9/22
to Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
Thank you sir.
Regards,
Madhusudhan Khanal

Saroj Kasaju

Oct 9, 2022, 5:15:30 AM10/9/22
to Madhusudhan Khanal, efloraofindia, J.M. Garg
OK.
Thank you.

Saroj Kasaju

J.M. Garg

Oct 9, 2022, 8:07:38 AM10/9/22
to Madhusudhan Khanal, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
To me it appears close to images at Alectra sessiliflora
BSI Flora of India only gives distribution of this species in Sikkim.
Keys, if one can find, will further help.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

Madhusudhan Khanal

Oct 9, 2022, 8:36:28 AM10/9/22
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Resambles A.sessiliflora in closer morphological observation. I couldn't find any record of the species from West Bengal.

Thanks and Regards,
Madhusudhan Khanal

J.M. Garg

Oct 9, 2022, 8:38:35 AM10/9/22
to Madhusudhan Khanal, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Can your find Keys between the two?
--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Madhusudhan Khanal

Oct 9, 2022, 8:42:49 AM10/9/22
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
I will check sir.
Regards,
Madhusudhan Khanal

Madhusudhan Khanal

Oct 9, 2022, 9:29:35 AM10/9/22
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Flora of Sikkim shows the record of A.arvensis and not A.sessiliflora. The picture of the species in FOS is exact similar to the the specimen I found. Thus it can be assumed that the specimen from Sikkim and kalimpong both are same and is A.arvensis. POWO images of A.sessiliflora are much different with blackish margin on leaves and the leaf serration is also not as prominent as A.arvensis.

Thanks and regards
Madhusudhan

Madhusudhan Khanal

Oct 9, 2022, 9:31:50 AM10/9/22
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Correction : A.avensis and not A.arvensis (As shown in BSI checklist).

J.M. Garg

Oct 9, 2022, 9:34:55 AM10/9/22
to Madhusudhan Khanal, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
In view of contradictory inf., It is better we analyse based on the keys.
So keys have to be found first.

--
With regards,
J. M. Garg

Madhusudhan Khanal

Oct 9, 2022, 9:36:17 AM10/9/22
to J.M. Garg, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Okay sir. will look into it.

J.M. Garg

Oct 16, 2022, 5:15:39 AM10/16/22
to Madhusudhan Khanal, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
Hi, Madhusudhan ji,
Request you for the keys.
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg

J.M. Garg

Oct 22, 2022, 3:02:38 AM10/22/22
to Madhusudhan Khanal, Saroj Kasaju, efloraofindia
new study concludes that A. avensis and A. sessiliflora are the same and keep them under the name A. sessiliflora (Vahl) Kuntze thus reducing A. avensis as a synonym of it.
Pl. see Taxonomic Revision of the Alectra sessiliflora Complex (Orobanchaceae)– Jeffery J. Morawetz 1 , 2 and Andrea D. Wolfe- Systematic Botany (2011), 36(1): pp. 141–152);
--
With regards,
J.M.Garg