Ixora coccinea from Dakpathar

Gurcharan Singh

Sep 22, 2011, 9:26:30 AM9/22/11
to efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
 Ixora coccinea L., Sp. Pl. 110. 1753. Roxb., Fl. Ind. 1: 375. 1820
syn: Ixora bandhuca Roxb.; Ixora grandiflora Ker; Ixora incarnata DC.

Common names: Jungle Geranium, flame-of-the-woods

Hindi and Beng: Rookmini, rajana
Mar: Pendgul, bakora
Tel: Koranam, mankana
Tam: Chetti, kullal, vedchi
Mal: Thechii, thetti
Kan: Kepala, kisukare

After a long search for nearly 3 years I think I am able to hunt out the typical specimen of this species characterized by sessile oblong leaves up to 10 cm long, obtuse or mucronate; flowers bright scarlet with nearly 4-5 cm long corolla tube, acute corolla lobes 8-10 mm long.

Photographed from garden of Dakpathar rest house on September 16, 2011.

The genus Ixora is often much confused and poorly understood in our databases.

Ixora chinensis at FOI I think is Ixora finlaysiana, I. chinensis has shorter corolla tube, and broader obtuse corolla lobes

Ixora coccinea (Red)  and I. coccinea (yellow) of FOI may be I. chinensis as they have distinctly narrowed leaves and obtuse corolla lobes

--
Dr. Gurcharan Singh
Retired  Associate Professor

Ixora-coccinea-Dakpathar-1.jpg
Ixora-coccinea-Dakpathar-2.jpg
Ixora-coccinea-Dakpathar-3.jpg

Balkar Arya

Sep 22, 2011, 10:11:00 AM9/22/11
to Gurcharan Singh, efloraofindia, Flowers of India, Tabish
Thanks Sir for sharing. I dont know how i missed this plant there
--
Regards

Dr Balkar Singh
Arya P G College, Panipat