Lepidagathis sp.-070310-PKA1

Prashant awale

Mar 7, 2010, 3:33:30 AM3/7/10
to indiantreepix
Dear Friends,

Came across this Prostrate herb.
Looks like "Lepidagathis incurva" (Acanthaceae family).
Ref: "Flora of the Presidency of Bombay" by T. Cooke..

Date/Time-

07 -03-2010 / 09:40 AM

Location- Place, Altitude, GPS-

Mumbai,   90 ft

Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-

Wild

Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-

Herb  (prostrate herb, stems slender)

Height/Length-

 ~ 40cm long

Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-

 Opposite, slightly pubescent,  variable,  1.5cm - 6cm by  0.8cm – 3cm , elliptic,  Petiole ~ 2 to 4mm , nerves-6 pairs

Inflorescence Type/ Size-

 Flowers in axillary & Terminal  softly hairy spikes (~ 2cm)

Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-

Corolla White coloured , 6mm,   dotted with brownish & purple spots , 2 lipped, Upper lip- somewhat  notched, Lower lip- 3 lobed, rounded at apex and middle lobe broader as compared to adjacent ones.

Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-

Do not know..

Flowering observed from Feb. end.

Kindly validate the ID..

Thanks & best wishes
Prashant
IMG_5523.jpg
IMG_5546.jpg
IMG_5525.jpg

shrikant ingalhalikar

Mar 7, 2010, 7:17:00 AM3/7/10
to efloraofindia
Pls check on Haplanthodes since stamens are 2. Regards, Shrikant

On Mar 7, 1:33 pm, Prashant awale <pkaw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> Came across this Prostrate herb.

> Looks like "*Lepidagathis incurva*" (Acanthaceae family).

> Ref: "Flora of the Presidency of Bombay" by T. Cooke..
>

>   *Date/Time-*

> 07 -03-2010 / 09:40 AM
>

> *Location- Place, Altitude, GPS- *
>
> Mumbai,   90 ft
>
> *Habitat- Garden/ Urban/ Wild/ Type-*
>
> Wild
>
> *Plant Habit- Tree/ Shrub/ Climber/ Herb-  *

> Herb  (prostrate herb, stems slender)
>

> *Height/Length- *
>
>  ~ 40cm long
>
> *Leaves Type/ Shape/ Size-*

>  Opposite, slightly pubescent,  variable,  1.5cm - 6cm by  0.8cm – 3cm ,
> elliptic,  Petiole ~ 2 to 4mm , nerves-6 pairs
>

> *Inflorescence Type/ Size- *

>  Flowers in axillary & Terminal  softly hairy spikes (~ 2cm)
>

> *Flowers Size/ Colour/ Calyx/ Bracts-*

> Corolla White coloured , 6mm,   dotted with brownish & purple spots , 2
> lipped, Upper lip- somewhat  notched, Lower lip- 3 lobed, rounded at apex
> and middle lobe broader as compared to adjacent ones.
>

> *Fruits Type/ Shape/ Size Seeds-*
>
> * *
>
> Do not know..
>
> *Other Information like Fragrance, Pollinator, Uses etc.- *
>
> * *

> Flowering observed from Feb. end.
>
> Kindly validate the ID..
>
> Thanks & best wishes
> Prashant
>

>  IMG_5523.jpg
> 192KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5546.jpg
> 192KViewDownload
>
>  IMG_5525.jpg
> 193KViewDownload

Prashant awale

Mar 8, 2010, 3:50:24 AM3/8/10
to shrikant ingalhalikar, efloraofindia
Dear Shrikant ji,
Thanks for your response. Flower size is bit small and i took this snap using Super macro feature available in my Camera. To re- confirm the no. of stamens, i did dissection and noticed that no. of stamens are four. Two are cleary visible in photo where as other 2 were just behind them.
Waiting for yr comments on this..

Thanks & regards
Prashant

J.M. Garg

Mar 23, 2010, 4:44:40 AM3/23/10
to efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale, satish pardeshi, Dinesh Valke

Earlier relevant feedback:

Pls check on Haplanthodes since stamens are 2. Regards, Shrikant”

“Dear Shrikant ji,

Thanks for your response. Flower size is bit small and i took this snap using Super macro feature available in my Camera. To re- confirm the no. of stamens, i did dissection and noticed that no. of stamens are four. Two are cleary visible in photo where as other 2 were just behind them.
Waiting for yr comments on this..
Thanks & regards

Prashant”

With regards,
J.M.Garg (jmg...@gmail.com)

IMG_5523.jpg
IMG_5546.jpg
IMG_5525.jpg

tanay bose

Mar 23, 2010, 8:25:48 AM3/23/10
to J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, Prashant awale, satish pardeshi, Dinesh Valke
Dear Prashant Ji ,
I hope this plant is Lepidagathis incurva var. incurva [Synonym: Lepidagathis hyalina Nees in Wall., Pl. Asiat. Rar. 3: 95. 1832. in DC., Prodr. 11: 252. 1847; Clarke in Hook. f., l.c. 521. excl. vars.; Bamber, Punj. Pl. 174. 1916; Collett, Fl. Simi. 375. 1902. ]

A perennial, suberect, up to 60 cm tall herb with almost glabrous stems. Leaves with 1-2 cm long petiole; lamina lanceolate-oblong to broadly lanceolate-ovate, 7-8 x 2-3.5 cm, minutely pubescent, entire, acute. Flowers white, brown spotted, in dense axillary or terminal, oblong-ovoid, 1.5-3.5 cm long spikes; bracts lanceolate to ovate, 8-12 mm long, glandular-pubescent, acuminate, mucronate; bracteoles linear-lanceolate, c. 6-8 mm long, scarious, acuminate-mucronate. Calyx 5-partite almost to base, lobes unequal, linear-lanceolate, outer larger, c. 1 cm long, others 7-8 mm long. Corolla tube c. 6 mm long, dilated in the middle, limb 2-lipped, upper lip erect, emarginate, lower lip patent, longer than upper, 3-lobed. Stamens 4, in unequal pairs, included. Ovary oblong, glabrous, style filiform with slightly 2-lobed stigma. Capsule oblong, 5-6 mm long, glabrous except the tip, 4-seeded. Seeds orbicular, c. 1 mm across, hairy.
Please see the hilighted features available from the photo and datum provided by you by disecting the plant.
Regards
Tanay
Tanay Bose
+91(033) 25550676 (Resi)
9830439691(Mobile)
9674221362 (Mobile)

Prashant awale

Mar 23, 2010, 11:26:17 AM3/23/10
to tanay bose, J.M. Garg, efloraofindia, Shrikant Ingalhalikar, satish pardeshi, Dinesh Valke
Thanks Tanay ji.
regards
Prashant